Chances? MCAT okay for top schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redhots

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! What do you think my chances are of getting into medical school with my current stats? What schools would I be a good fit for? Also trying to figure out if I need to retake the MCAT. Thanks!

Summary: Decent GPA and MCAT, strong research skills (multiple program/scholarships), good clinical exposure, some volunteer experience
Strengths: Research, leadership
Weaknesses? MCAT, GPA, lack of long-term volunteer experience

Details:

cGPA: 3.78 sGPA: 3.67
MCAT: 515 - Chem: 129, CARS: 127, Bio: 130, Psych: 129
State of residence: CA
Ethnicity: Indian/Asian

List of Schools: I know this list has too many reaches/dream schools. Recommendations on what to cut/add?
Harvard
UCSF
UCLA
UCSD
UC Irvine
UC Davis
Mt Sinai
USC
NYU
Stanford
UChicago
Northwestern
Mayo
Yale
Boston U
Georgetown
Tufts
Temple

Please let me know what schools I would be a good fit for and if there is anything I should work on improving for my apps! Should I consider retaking the MCAT? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I count 5 schools on your list where you have a fair to good chance of an interview. That's not usually enough for a CA applicant.
Any recommendations of schools to either cut/add or ways to increase my chances?

Also which schools would you say I have a good chance for getting an interview?

Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Add some reaches in Northeast such as Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Brown; and some safeties (OOS friendly) such as NYMC, Albany, Hofstra, Drexel (I bet you watch JaneandJady on YouTube, she's from UCLA).

Last edited:
Here's the thing. A lot of people are in your position. They have great stats, strong research experience, and a lot of ambition. Here are the problems:

-Your MCAT is good, but not great. Especially since the scale is bumping up. I'm starting to observe that 518 is comparable to a 36. In the past, it was thought that a 516 was comparable to a 36.

-Even with everything being perfect (or near perfect), having a school list that is top heavy is risky. For many reasons.

-The main issue is that you are too top-school crazy. It's gonna bring you down if you keep that kind of mentality. You may end up loving a school that is mid or even low tier.

Anyways, you have a great app. But keep your eyes open, and focus on being the best you can be. Be yourself and follow your heart. Good luck!

Last edited:
I suggest

UCLA
UC Irvine
UC Davis
USC
Boston U
Georgetown
Tufts
Temple

Do NOT retake MCAT.

Add