Chances, next steps for dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

itsmemario123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a graduate in biomedical engineering with a cgpa of 2.99; just wanted some guidance on how I can improve my resume
I signed up for a MS in Biology for health professions at a university to get more upper level science courses because I only took one science course during my undergrad career. I am planning to take my DAT some time in the coming months. I have 100 hrs of dental shadowing, went on a mission trip where i worked in dental clinics where I got over 150 hours total, have 2 internships (one with a relief organization and one as a research intern), I have a biomedical engineering research position and project that was for about 7 months, and I also have a biomedical project where I developed a mathematical model for cavity development. I was just hoping if I can get some guidance about what I can do to be the best applicant for when I apply in the next year, because I know my UG gpa is pretty low and im using this masters program as a way to try to counteract that. Any help from people who were in a similar situation or anyone at all would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I also have a year long biomedical engineering project where I developed a medical device from the ground up!

I was a bioengineer too. Unfortunately, your gpa at the moment my hurt you more than help you. Look into what school you are applying to and see how they calculate their gpas. Some schools will utilize the +/- system and others wont. Also consider retaking some of the classes that you got low grades in. The school may just replace that with the new grade. That would be cheaper than throwing a masters at the wall and hoping that it sticks. I just don't want you to have serious debt without the promise of getting in. That being said just talk with the schools. Thats what there admin people are for, if they say do a masters, then go for it.