Chances??? No name undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jessz79

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm absolutely addicted to SDN. Your threads have helped me out a lot during the application process.

I need help! I've applied to 19 schools (first time applying) and my applications are already in, but with each passing day, I'm doubting my chances of getting in. My stats are decent, but far from exceptional: 31S, lots of extracurriculars, good L.O.R., 3.9 GPA. I've also applied as a disadvantaged applicant b/c my mom and I were on public assistance while I was growing up and I also worked in a sweat shop while I was in high school. The one thing that's stressing me out is the fact that I graduated from a no-name undergrad. How heavily do med schools look at your undergrad institution?

Members don't see this ad.

I guess it depends on where you are applying. Some schools care more than others, but I know a girl who goes to my school with similar stats who got interviews at places like mayo and yale.

Just to clarify, my schools is a no name state school:)

Members don't see this ad :)
I go to a no name state school and I've got interview invites at 2 top 10 schools, UMich and WashU.

Wow! S is amazing. You should do just fine, don't worry about it, it takes about a month for them to process all of your applications, and if you're worried, you could give a call to your undergrad premed committee to make sure the letters are in.

I come from a no-name university and I've gotten plenty of interviews. (Though whether they let me in or not remains to be seen. 5 days!)

They will probably ask you about your school in your interviews, so be prepared to give them the good points of your less well-known college. "It's a small, liberal arts college where I was exposed to the classics" or "Though we don't have a big reputation yet, we're growing rapidly and the classes are all taught by professors rather than TAs". Most interviewers have asked me about my school.

Jade~

Originally posted by jessz79
Hi guys,

I'm absolutely addicted to SDN. Your threads have helped me out a lot during the application process.

I need help! I've applied to 19 schools (first time applying) and my applications are already in, but with each passing day, I'm doubting my chances of getting in. My stats are decent, but far from exceptional: 31S, lots of extracurriculars, good L.O.R., 3.9 GPA. I've also applied as a disadvantaged applicant b/c my mom and I were on public assistance while I was growing up and I also worked in a sweat shop while I was in high school. The one thing that's stressing me out is the fact that I graduated from a no-name undergrad. How heavily do med schools look at your undergrad institution?

is this a joke thread? If you cant figure out by you stats and looking at schools averages what your odds are then maybe a physician is not the career for you.. Geeez these threads are getting old.. um i have a 4.0 31mcat tons of ECs awsome letters.. um oh.. what are my chances.. geez premeds

Originally posted by Dr. Wall$treet
is this a joke thread? If you cant figure out by you stats and looking at schools averages what your odds are then maybe a physician is not the career for you.. Geeez these threads are getting old.. um i have a 4.0 31mcat tons of ECs awsome letters.. um oh.. what are my chances.. geez premeds

Don't be too hard on people. We (those applying) are all pretty nervous about the process and one hears a lot rumors so it helps to hear someone else tell what they think about your chances.

I am glad that most people don't think the undergrad is too big a factor. I have a good GPA and MCAT (3.9 & 40P), although my ECs aren't the best and I am going to a small no-name school. I figured that my strong MCAT will show the ad coms that I can make it even though I didn't go to a big name undergrad.

Originally posted by STi555
Don't be too hard on people. We (those applying) are all pretty nervous about the process and one hears a lot rumors so it helps to hear someone else tell what they think about your chances.

I am glad that most people don't think the undergrad is too big a factor. I have a good GPA and MCAT (3.9 & 40P), although my ECs aren't the best and I am going to a small no-name school. I figured that my strong MCAT will show the ad coms that I can make it even though I didn't go to a big name undergrad.

3.9 and 40 P??? I'm thinking you won't have too many problems:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Dr. Wall$treet

i agree, but im only aware of this because of reading, reading, reading, and asking tons of questions?

i think ppl that post these kinds of threads are really nervous and just need re-assurement.

im sure she'll do just fine.

I agree with not being so hard on people. This process takes alot out of you...including your self-esteem. I think...(and I may be wrong) but people who post OUTSTANDING STATS like jessz are looking for someone to reassure them that they haven't wasted thousands of dollars applying to medical schools. It puts people at ease to know how they stand with their peers.

Go for it Jessz...your stats are awsome. (MCAT is above the national average and your GPA is great. Hey a 3.9 is a 3.9 no matter what school you come from. :clap:

Originally posted by tatabox80
3.9 and 40 P??? I'm thinking you won't have too many problems:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Some other person with a ~3.9 and a 39 MCAT was rejected because he had poor ECs and a horrible personal statement. He had to take the MCAT again since it had been three yrs or so since the last one and still scored a 37 but has much better ECs and a personal statement. This just goes to show that adcoms are looking for the total package and not just numbers.

Thanks for the replies guys. I am very nervous about the whole process, as I'm sure a lot of people. This is my first time applying. I put up this thread after I read an old post where someone claimed that he was rejected with a 39 MCAT and a 4.0 GPA b/c of his undergrad institution. My stats are far below that and coming from a City University, you can see why I'm worried. (I also applied late.)

Thanks for your support. I hope this thread helps others who come from "no-name" schools.

Good luck to all, even you, Dr. Wallstreet.

Originally posted by jessz79
I put up this thread after I read an old post where someone claimed that he was rejected with a 39 MCAT and a 4.0 GPA b/c of his undergrad institution. My stats are far below that and coming from a City University, you can see why I'm worried.

I highly, HIGHLY doubt the sole mitigating factor was his undergrad. lack of ECs, a piss poor personal statement, bad interviews or just general social ineptitude will keep even the highest statistical achievers out.

Someone named Jessica last year from a no-name school (I think it was a Cal State?) had absolutely amazing results, getting interviews at virtually everywhere she applied, and getting accepted to UCLA, UCSD, UCSF and Harvard. And, get this, she applied really late!! :D :cool: :D

She matriculated at Hopkins, right?

Originally posted by Angel_Eyes
MCAT is above the national average and your GPA is great. Hey a 3.9 is a 3.9 no matter what school you come from. :clap:

I understand a 3.9 is a 3.9, which is one helluva a gpa regardless of school, but I really hope that med schools realize that some schools are definitely alot harder than others. A 3.9 at my school, is like divine. I mean I am not tryin to degrade any university, but i think some schools like Chicago, Duke, Emory, etc. are way to hard to get such a high gpa. Im not saying its easy to get a 3.9 at any school, but the level of competition is alot stiffer at top private schools than at a no-name school (or at least this is what i think). Like i know people that go to chicago, that we be gettin 4.0s across the board if they were at state public school, where everyone gets more Bs than As. Should someone be penalized for going to the best school they can go to and give them the most challenging experience? I mean I have friends at my state school, and honestly think i couldve got a 3.9 or 4.0, but i went to a top 20 school, and now my gpa isnt that high. I know mcat is proof of your gpa. Good mcat score backs up a decent gpa. With your stats you should be fine :). Good luck!

Originally posted by Smoke This
She matriculated at Hopkins, right?

She may have, she was accepted there according to the last post on the Accepted at....(Another list) thread from last year. But she hadn't put an asterix by any of her acceptances which was how we were denoting where we were going, and I've kind of forgotten.

accepted to UCSF, UCLA, UCSD and Harvard...for a second there I was jealous...till I found out she's now living in Baltimore ;) :p

Originally posted by the boy wonder
accepted to UCSF, UCLA, UCSD and Harvard...for a second there I was jealous...till I found out she's now living in Baltimore ;) :p

Apparently someone who interviewed at UCSD this weekend was spreading around the bad information that the UC schools won't let someone into both UCSF and UCLA. I told my friend the guy was full of it, and this confirms it.