tabbycatdontcur

pharmacy world →medical word
May 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I am a SC resident, but am going to school in TN currently.

BS in chemistry.

UG c3.19 | s3.31

pharmacy school 3.62 (P1 year)
(currently a P2)

MCAT verbal 7 | biological 9 | physical 10

• Have a DO letter of recommendation and 60 hours shadowing.
  • Have been published in a science journal.
  • Volunteered 500 hours at a low-income center for kids and lived in the neighborhood for a year. Also chaperoned 3 different week long trips and mentored kids outside of the center through our community garden, activities, etc.
  • Random: I would really like to work as a medical relief physician, which is a lot of what my personal statement was about. Dad is a chiropractor so I related that to holistic medicine in my secondaries.
  • All other activities probably not worth mentioning, but I can if needed.

Edward Via College of Osteopathic Medicine-VA, SC, AL campuses
Campbell University School of Osteopathic Medicine
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine-GA campus
Liberty University College of Osteopathic Medicine
University of Pikeville Kentucky College of Osteopathic Medicine
Lincoln Memorial University-DeBusk College of Osteopathic Medicine
William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine

Really would appreciate it if anyone has good advice or recommendations!

Last edited:

SkipJunior

I'm Your Butler
Account on Hold
Aug 19, 2014
Lior, Amastris
Status
Pre-Medical
your uGPA is low and your MCAT score is slightly below average for DO matriculants but I think you have a shot, especially at the new low tier DO schools. Campbell has a hard 3.2 GPA cutoff so I would contact them and verify your eligibility before applying.

You should also apply to Marian, Rocky Vista, and West Virginia-SOM to improve your chances. I hope you have submitted all your secondaries.

OP
tabbycatdontcur

tabbycatdontcur

May 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I am working on the secondaries. Some schools won't send secondaries until my MCAT scores are received. I took the MCAT 8/7 and received my scores last week, but no school seems to have been notified. I am submitting PCOM, KYCOM, CUSOM secondaries today and will send ACOM secondary this week.

I was thinking I need to apply to southeast schools since many have a regional bias, but you suggested some schools out of my region. Do schools care? I thought they wanted you to stay in the state or at least that region after graduating.

I also don't feel that great about applying to Rocky Vista, a for-profit school. Something just doesn't seem right about for-profit schools. Maybe you have insight about for-profits? I do however really like the area that it's in!

Last edited:

SkipJunior

I'm Your Butler
Account on Hold
Aug 19, 2014
Lior, Amastris
Status
Pre-Medical
I am working on the secondaries. Some schools won't send secondaries until my MCAT scores are received. I took the MCAT 8/7 and received my scores last week, but no school seems to have been notified. I am submitting PCOM, KYCOM, CUSOM secondaries today and will send ACOM secondary this week.

I was thinking I need to apply to southeast schools since many have a regional bias, but you suggested some schools out of my region. Do schools care? I thought they wanted you to stay in the state or at least that region after graduating.

I also don't feel that great about applying to Rocky Vista, a for-profit school. Something just doesn't seem right about for-profit schools. Maybe you have insight about for-profits? I do however really like the area that it's in!
You have to send your MCAT scores to AACOMAS. Some DO schools do display regional preference but none of the schools on your list or ones I suggested have strong regional preferences. For-profit schools are fine as long as they are efficient and are not trying to rip-off their students. Midwestern AZ and Midwestern Chicago are good examples of good for-profit DO schools.

OP
tabbycatdontcur

tabbycatdontcur

May 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
You have to send your MCAT scores to AACOMAS. Some DO schools do display regional preference but none of the schools on your list or ones I suggested have strong regional preferences. For-profit schools are fine as long as they are efficient and are not trying to rip-off their students. Midwestern AZ and Midwestern Chicago are good examples of good for-profit DO schools.
I put my MCAT number in the AACOMAS application and had my scores sent to these schools. Is this all I need to do? Does this process take a while?

I can't remember which schools but I think I remember seeing KYCOM and Edward Via both advertising on their websites about how many student have stayed in their area and how they like people from the appalachia area because they are focused on rural medicine there.

Also you gave good examples of schools but what about the one you suggested, Rocky Vista?

SkipJunior

I'm Your Butler
Account on Hold
Aug 19, 2014
Lior, Amastris
Status
Pre-Medical
I put my MCAT number in the AACOMAS application and had my scores sent to these schools. Is this all I need to do? Does this process take a while?

I can't remember which schools but I think I remember seeing KYCOM and Edward Via both advertising on their websites about how many student have stayed in their area and how they like people from the appalachia area because they are focused on rural medicine there.

Also you gave good examples of schools but what about the one you suggested, Rocky Vista?
You have to go to the MCAT testing history (thx) and go to the same place on the AAMC website where you view your MCAT scores. On that same page where you can see the scores, you should also have the option to send the scores. You should send the scores to AACOMAS.

Even if KYCOM and Edward Via have a regional preference, they still accept applicants from all over the nation. I suggested Rocky Vista because it's a new DO school and might be more forgiving of your sub-par uGPA and mediocre mcat scores.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
Your MCAT of 26 should be OK for all the schools you applied to but it would be reasonable to add the schools SkipJunior suggested.

OP
tabbycatdontcur

tabbycatdontcur

May 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
You have to go to the MCAT testing history (thx) and go to the same place on the AAMC website where you view your MCAT scores. On that same page where you can see the scores, you should also have the option to send the scores. You should send the scores to AACOMAS.
Thanks! I will definitely do that soon!
I had no idea to do that! I thought they would be sent automatically.

Last edited: