Chances of a grad to enter medical school????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GuBa

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, here is another "story" in need of feedback. I have read a number of such posts, but none seem to relate to me. I am a grad student (with an MS in biology), though currently in the PhD program. I am currently seeking to enter medical school. I have a number of first author publications in the top journal of my field (more to come). However, my undergrad GPA is 3.1, while my grad GPA is 3.8. I haven't taken the MCAT yet, plan to this April. I have plenty of volunteer time under my belt. Is there anyone with this similar profile that was successful in entering medical school? I was told that only the undergrad GPA would be considered, that grad grades are wothless, so don't even try, no chance (bummer man!!!) What ought to be my projected MCAT score to be competitive? I would appreciate the response.

Members don't see this ad.

I am in a similar situation -- I completed an MS and I am currently working on a PhD. Your grad school GPA will be considered, but it is viewed separately from your undergrad GPA. From all that I have read, it seems as though med schools will look at your grad school degree and GPA favorably so don't think that your undergrad GPA is of sole importance.

I have been accepted to medical school despite a far more dismal undergrad GPA. I attended a master's program and applied to medical school last year while in my masters program without success. In talking to the people at schools I got waitlisted at, I was told that my main problem was a lack of competitive grades in undergraduate classes so that I could be compared favorably with the rest of the applicants.

I dealt with this problem by taking a year of undergraduate post-bacc classes this year. I was accepted during winter quarter, so I don't think I really needed a full year... but I will say that I think it helped.

Keep in mind that medical schools are going to want to see you complete the program that you are in right now before they will let you in...

Good luck, and don't let your undergrad GPA be the thing that keeps you from pursuing your dream.