Chances of Acceptance and Possible Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

member303626

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

I am an undergraduate student planning on taking the MCAT this spring and applying to medical school this summer. I have a cumulative GPA of 3.72 and a science GPA (math, physics, chemistry, and biology) of 3.55.

I have spent the last two summers (approximately 20 weeks total) doing research at a medical school's department of pathology. In addition, I volunteered approximately 38 hours last fall at a hospital's emergency room, and this spring I shadowed a family medicine physician for approximately 12 hours. During my time as an undergraduate, I have judged a middle school science fair, presented neuroscience concepts to middle-school students to support "brain awareness", and volunteered approximately 20 hrs as a high school tutor for English-language learning students.
During my summers when I'm not doing biomedical research, I assist my family farm with various farming operations. I feel I have gained valuable practical science experience through this.

My concerns are what I should hope to score on my MCAT, what additional experiences should I try to pick-up, and, considering I have a reasonable chance of being accepted pending MCAT score and minor GPA fluctuations, what are some medical schools that accept out-of-state residents I should apply to.

I have one more undergraduate year left, so I hope to improve my GPA and volunteering/shadowing hours.

Thank you to all repliers

Members don't see this ad.

Greetings,

I am an undergraduate student planning on taking the MCAT this spring and applying to medical school this summer. I have a cumulative GPA of 3.72 and a science GPA (math, physics, chemistry, and biology) of 3.55.

I have spent the last two summers (approximately 20 weeks total) doing research at a medical school’s department of pathology. In addition, I volunteered approximately 38 hours last fall at a hospital’s emergency room, and this spring I shadowed a family medicine physician for approximately 12 hours. During my time as an undergraduate, I have judged a middle school science fair, presented neuroscience concepts to middle-school students to support “brain awareness”, and volunteered approximately 20 hrs as a high school tutor for English-language learning students.
During my summers when I’m not doing biomedical research, I assist my family farm with various farming operations. I feel I have gained valuable practical science experience through this.

My concerns are what I should hope to score on my MCAT, what additional experiences should I try to pick-up, and, considering I have a reasonable chance of being accepted pending MCAT score and minor GPA fluctuations, what are some medical schools that accept out-of-state residents I should apply to.

I have one more undergraduate year left, so I hope to improve my GPA and volunteering/shadowing hours.

MCAT: 32
List of schools: Buy the MSAR

Regardless of your gpa, try to aim for a balanced 35 ideally (33 realistically). Get more leadership, teaching, and clinical experiences. And "more" as in more of the same. It looks better to have shown commitment to a handful of meaningful activities that you've taken leadership in than to have taken on several unmeaningful ones.

Based purely on numbers and nothing else, with your current cgpa/sgpa and assuming 11s across the board, you'd have a LizzyM score of 70, which would put you in a good range for:

Boston
SLU
Wake Forest
Georgetown
Creighton
Vermont
Loyola
Temple

Some "mid/top tiers" you have a slight chance at in case you're wondering:

Pittsburgh
Case Western
Rochester

But yes, please just get the MSAR.

Greetings,

I have spent the last two summers (approximately 20 weeks total) doing research at a medical school’s department of pathology. In addition, I volunteered approximately 38 hours last fall at a hospital’s emergency room, and this spring I shadowed a family medicine physician for approximately 12 hours. During my time as an undergraduate, I have judged a middle school science fair, presented neuroscience concepts to middle-school students to support “brain awareness”, and volunteered approximately 20 hrs as a high school tutor for English-language learning students.
During my summers when I’m not doing biomedical research, I assist my family farm with various farming operations. I feel I have gained valuable practical science experience through this.