Chances of Acceptance at a Texas School as an Out Of State?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureToothFairy_12

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an out of state resident looking to apply to a Texas dental school. I've read that Texas schools aren't OOS friendly but I want to apply due to the fact all 3 schools have good programs. My goal is to live and practice in a rural area in Texas after dental school. I don't have any ties but I did do an internship at one of the schools. Will that help me any? How can I stand out as an OOS applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

Well......what is your GPA and DAT scores (if you don't mind me asking)? You have to be a pretty stellar applicant to land a spot as an OOS applicant. Are you opposed to going to dental school in another state and then moving to Texas once you practice?

Well......what is your GPA and DAT scores (if you don't mind me asking)? You have to be a pretty stellar applicant to land a spot as an OOS applicant. Are you opposed to going to dental school in another state and then moving to Texas once you practice?

I haven't taken the DAT yet but I plan to in the spring since I'm a rising junior. My GPA is at a 3.0 but retaking classes to raise my oGPA/sGPA so that I can be a competitive applicant. And no, I want to attend school in Texas and staying to practice. (idk if this would make me stand out) I know it's early but I want to start planning ahead.

Members don't see this ad :)
90% depends on your DAT/GPA, to even be considered for an interview i'd imagine you would need at least a 3.7/22AA

I haven't taken the DAT yet but I plan to in the spring since I'm a rising junior. My GPA is at a 3.0 but retaking classes to raise my oGPA/sGPA so that I can be a competitive applicant. And no, I want to attend school in Texas and staying to practice. (idk if this would make me stand out) I know it's early but I want to start planning ahead.
To be frank, with a 3.0 your chances are slim to none. I would withhold from applying to Texas schools.

Realistically? Incredibly low chances even if you had amazing stats. With a 3.0 oGPA/sGPA, close to zero. I'd save your money and not bother.

Reactions: 1 users
I am an out of state resident looking to apply to a Texas dental school. I've read that Texas schools aren't OOS friendly but I want to apply due to the fact all 3 schools have good programs. My goal is to live and practice in a rural area in Texas after dental school. I don't have any ties but I did do an internship at one of the schools. Will that help me any? How can I stand out as an OOS applicant?
Your best chance is to move here and establish residency, then apply. That's a very big commitment without a guarantee of acceptance. I'd go ahead and go to school somewhere else then move to the Lone State State.

Reactions: 1 user
"Planning ahead" should have started at least a couple + of years ago.

I wouldn't even bother

Reactions: 1 user