Chances of Acceptance at a Texas School as an Out Of State?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by FutureToothFairy_12, Jul 16, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. FutureToothFairy_12

FutureToothFairy_12

Jul 16, 2017
    I am an out of state resident looking to apply to a Texas dental school. I've read that Texas schools aren't OOS friendly but I want to apply due to the fact all 3 schools have good programs. My goal is to live and practice in a rural area in Texas after dental school. I don't have any ties but I did do an internship at one of the schools. Will that help me any? How can I stand out as an OOS applicant?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Life of Pablo

Life of Pablo

Feb 18, 2016
    Well......what is your GPA and DAT scores (if you don't mind me asking)? You have to be a pretty stellar applicant to land a spot as an OOS applicant. Are you opposed to going to dental school in another state and then moving to Texas once you practice?

4. FutureToothFairy_12

FutureToothFairy_12

Jul 16, 2017
    I haven't taken the DAT yet but I plan to in the spring since I'm a rising junior. My GPA is at a 3.0 but retaking classes to raise my oGPA/sGPA so that I can be a competitive applicant. And no, I want to attend school in Texas and staying to practice. (idk if this would make me stand out) I know it's early but I want to start planning ahead.

5. Stanelz

Stanelz Current RDA, Future DDS 2+ Year Member

Mar 4, 2015
    90% depends on your DAT/GPA, to even be considered for an interview i'd imagine you would need at least a 3.7/22AA

6. Mrdoctorcaptainsir

Mrdoctorcaptainsir 2+ Year Member

Feb 5, 2015
    home
    To be frank, with a 3.0 your chances are slim to none. I would withhold from applying to Texas schools.

7. Big Time Hoosier

Big Time Hoosier Man. Myth. Legend. 2+ Year Member

Jan 26, 2015
    California?
    Dentist
    It's not gonna happen. I had a 3.7+ GPA, 24 DAT, and I even lived in Texas for two years in my late teens and I didn't get any interviews. Save your money and apply where you've got a realistic shot.

Big Hoss

8. FeralisExtremum

FeralisExtremum 7+ Year Member

May 17, 2008
    Realistically? Incredibly low chances even if you had amazing stats. With a 3.0 oGPA/sGPA, close to zero. I'd save your money and not bother.

wengerout and fit2 like this.
  9. D1Bound

D1Bound

Jan 12, 2017
    Your best chance is to move here and establish residency, then apply. That's a very big commitment without a guarantee of acceptance. I'd go ahead and go to school somewhere else then move to the Lone State State.

FutureToothFairy_12 likes this.
  10. doc toothache

doc toothache 10+ Year Member

Jan 17, 2006
    "Planning ahead" should have started at least a couple + of years ago.

11. JLT223

JLT223 2+ Year Member

Jun 3, 2015
    I wouldn't even bother

Advance likes this.