Chances of Acceptance with a 3.55 oGPA and a 3.2 sGPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jayaykay15

Reaction score
Hey everyone first time poster here,

I'll be completing my undergrad a BYU (LDS school in Utah) in about a year and a half with a degree in Public Health: Health Science. My soon to be wife will finish about a year and a half after I graduate and it is really important to her to finish her undergrad before we move to start dental school somewhere. Being from North Carolina, my top school would be ECU or UNC but I am also looking at other east coast schools as well. I expect my DAT Scores to be in the 21-22 range. A few questions for those with advice or have had similar experiences:

1. Our Chem department at BYU is notoriously difficult to the point where friends who were excellent at chemistry all made C's. Because I would be applying after I graduate and my top school (ECU) does not require Biochem, should I hold off on taking it unless I have to? I am finishing up OChem currently and have held my ground so far but I would like to avoid taking Biochem unless I absolutely have to.

2. Would a MPH help my case at all? I plan on doing tons of DAT studying/shadowing/volunteer work during that year and a half waiting for my fiance to graduate.

3. Do admissions consider the difficulty of your undergrad school? I have heard mixed reviews about this, but with BYU being a top school in the country does that help my slightly lower sGPA?

4. Any other recommendations? I would appreciate it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this! Thanks for the input!

Members don't see this ad.