Chances of acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

benpremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN community,

I would like to get an idea of my chances for med school admissions. I graduated from an ivy league school with a relatively low gpa in biology (2.9) a little over 3 years ago. I was not very focused and did not really have a direction. I then worked in a research lab while completing a masters degree at harvard extension in biotech and graduated with a 4.0. I then did an undergraduate postbac program in mechanical engineering graduating with a 4.0 while working in a chem e laboratory. I also started a software company that is doing relatively well during that period. I am currently attending a top MS (chem e) MBA program and am continuing my straight A performance. I have always been interested in medicine and have decided that I would really like to become a physician. I took my MCATs recently and got a 44T (15 PS 14 VR 15BS). I am on 16 publications in various science journals and have a lot of shadowing/volunteering experience. I have some great recommendations as well.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

What is your cumulative uGPA including the postbac? What is your BCPM GPA, recalling that engineering isn't considered science by AMCAS?

What is your clinical experience, with hours and years over which it was accumulated? How many hours of shadowing/types of docs? Any leadership or teaching? Tell us about your nonmedical community service. Any sports, hobbies, or artistic endeavors?

Last edited:
With the ug postbac my gpa is a 3.22 and the bcpm is a 3.15 (im not positive if that is right. These are just undergrad credit bio and premed courses I have taken). Clinical experience shadowing wise I've sat in on a number of surgeries. I did 2 yrs of cancer research 4 summers of protein bio and 1 yr of chem e research (am continuing chem e research). Leadership wise im a ceo of a small but profitable software company. I am also a jazz musician, have won a couple performance awards and taught underpriveledged students. I am a powerlifting competitor. I volunteer at a hospice. I definitely know this doesn't mitigate the terrible gpa

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Stats tables suggest that you have about a 44% chance of an MD acceptance. It would help if your most recent science courses had good grades. Some As in upper-level Bio would be reassuring to adcomms, if present.

The point of shadowing is to observe physician interaction with patients. It would be good if you did more than observe surgeries where the patient is not conscious. Include an office-based primary care doc and another specialty too, if possible. About 50 hours is average. Aim for 60-80 total.

How many hospice months/hours do you project having by the time you plan to apply?

Thanks so much for your help. I will definitely try to get some of that experience under my belt. I have gotten all A's in my science classes after college, graduate and undergraduate. Hospice wise i have done about 250 hours.

Last edited:
I will definitely try to get in as much as i can before I apply. Do you think i have a decent shot with my stats overall?

I went through all my stats and "finalized them" as such:

uggpa was a 2.9 (top 10 school)
cgpa is around a 3.3
BCPM is 3.16
Grad GPAs:
MA Biotech: 4.0
MS Chem E: 4.0
MBA: 4.0

Tests: (I know all aren't important)
MCAT: 44T (15 PS 14 VR 15BS)
GMAT: 780
GRE: 760

Research:
2 Yrs 4 summers Cancer/protein
Chem E research 1.5 yrs
Papers: 16 (mostly mid tier journals, some high level)
Abstracts: 38
Presentations: 6

Volunteering:
Hospice: 230 hrs
Mission days: 20 total in various countries

Shadowing:
290 Hours

Leadership:
CEO of Healthcare related software company
Leader of jazz/rock bands (some award winning)

Hobbies/other:
Award winning Jazz musician
Medalist in 2 powerlifting competitions

Last edited:
way undercut the shadowing and volunteering, my fault. I did 5 hrs almost every weekend for the past 4 years at various hospices. also forgot to add the shadowing from college

Okay seriously you got a 44T! If that is true which I have no reason to believe you are lying then you have little problems. You have 16 publications, a perfect post grad GPA, and you probably found the cure for cancer right? Seriously though you won't have problems. Where you lacked in GPA, getting one of the highest possible MCATs will make up for it.

haha thanks yea. It really sucks cause everything after college was essentially perfect, hence me fretting and wasting time with these forums. I am definitely worried hearing that I have less than a 50% chance with my statistics

You have to realize though that stats don't factor in the whole person but merely your GPA + MCAT. It doesn't factor in experience, personality, Personal statement, and other EC. Therefore, you shouldn't rely too heavily on the numbers.

You should definitely apply-- I'm currently a 4th year med student and served on the ad-com. I think you have more than made up for that glitch. You'll probably get asked about it on the interview-- but once u get to the interview stage the thing that will determine admission is your interview.

Thanks for all of the support guys. I really have been working insanely hard to make up for everything. I took every possible bio course i could find and afford for under grad credit as i was doing my graduate work. I got A's in all of them for the past 3.5 years and definitely plan to continue this streak. I really hope admission officers see my dedication to becoming a physician.

So you included the undergrad-level postbac courses that you took while earning the masters in the cumulative undergrad GPA, right? Some applicants don't know they're supposed to do that.

Your steep upward grade trend in upper-level Bio will improve that statistic that I cited for you from the stats tables. Though most schools don't consider traditional masters coursework, especially if it isn't in the sciences, I think that the high grades in difficult classes will reflect well on you anyway.

You way overdid the shadowing, but that won't hurt you any. What did you teach the underprivileged students you referred to in post #3? It isn't on your EC summary in post #8. Your other ECs per the summary look good.

Next on the agenda: how are you going to explain three masters, none of which you've used in the workplace? You'll need to step carefully so you don't come across as constantly changing your mind and undedicated to a career in medicine. It will also be important that your PS not come across with a sense of entitlement. You have every right to be proud of an MCAT score of 44, but stay (or seem) humble anyway.

Yes, all the postbac undergrad courses have been included (unfortunately). all of those were not part of the masters programs i was in.

To be honest, i dont have a great explanation other than that I have been "searching for my calling" within the confines of medicine and healthcare. My issue was that for a long time i still enjoyed the medical idea however, my focus switched to entrepreneurship in healthcare after college. I was a bio major in college and had no engineering or business experience. My goal at that point was an MS MBA program which i needed to continue on this route. (i needed some engineering prereqs before i could attend as well as some basic econ courses hence the first MA which covered all of them).
I shifted focus slightly to nanotechnology/Chem E research as well as streamlining certain pharmaceutical research processes with software my company has been developing over the past few years. So I have always had a passion for devoting my work to healthcare and improving it, however the specific way I wanted to contribute has been altered more than once. I found the engineering and business end of healthcare to lack the personable aspects that I found enjoyable during my hours of volunteering. I have therefore recently returned to my original interest in actual practice.

With regards to the teaching, i gave free music lessons to students in a poor community.

Also, with regards to the MCAT; I am quite humbled knowing my score stats are absolutely nothing to gloat about considering the terrible gpa.

All of you have been extremely helpful I really appreciate it!

Last edited:
You might enjoy reading through the saga of an applicant from a recent cycle who was on your same position (uGPA 2.92/MCAT 43). Notice the ratio of applications to acceptances: he got one acceptance: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=544011

I hope you'll let us know how it goes by posting your progress after you apply. It will hopefully help others in your position to know there is hope.

thanks so much for the hope! that is a great story for sure.

Someone posted the 42 and 2.9 gpa story- but I think your chances are better-doesn't sound like you failed anything and have tons of evidence in our corner showing it won't be the biggest issue. Mainly-it's going to be using the gpaxmcat formula used as an initial screen prior to continued review of app. after which I think u would be more in the cleAr. def. go for it! Keep everyone poasted with your progress.

fortunately for me it wasnt quite as bad. Thanks a lot guys. I feel a lot better now. Will definitely keep you posted

Hey guys, Thanks for all of the replies again. I was wondering, with my stats listed above, if I wait one more year to apply with the undergrad and graduate classes i have chosen, I can raise my cgpa (undergrad credit) to a 3.33 and my cbcpm to a 3.26. Should I do this or should i apply this year and see what happens?

Thanks