Chances of admission

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bschwen1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a stundent at a reputable small college, I have a 3.5 GPA and 3.3 in biological sciences (our biology department is notoriously difficult) got a 26 on the MCAT Verb 11, Bio 7, Phys 8, have good EC and good recommendations, looking to go to WVSOM, OUCOM, PCSOM, or VCOM, applyiing june 1st, should I be really sweating it? or am I good to go? Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

you should at least get into one of those if you are indeed done with all of your apps that early

DrMikeyLu said:
you should at least get into one of those if you are indeed done with all of your apps that early

I think you'll get into a couple of them atleast. The average matriculant is around a 3.45 and a 25 i think right?

Members don't see this ad :)
bschwen1 said:
I am a stundent at a reputable small college, I have a 3.5 GPA and 3.3 in biological sciences (our biology department is notoriously difficult) got a 26 on the MCAT Verb 11, Bio 7, Phys 8, have good EC and good recommendations, looking to go to WVSOM, OUCOM, PCSOM, or VCOM, applyiing june 1st, should I be really sweating it? or am I good to go? Thanks for any input.

I had very similar numbers and I was accepted. I interviewed at WVSOM and had, "decision deferred" and never got an answer. I withdrew once I got into my top choice, so I don't know whatever happened.

I think you will be fine, but the rural schools can be kind of strange in whom they choose. I would apply to a lot more schools than just those four, if that was your intent.

I would apply to about 10 schools that you would consider attending. Choose a couple reach schools and a few that have lower average stats than yours. If you tell me what you are looking for in a school and what state you live in we could suggest some schools to apply to.

Nate said:
I would apply to about 10 schools that you would consider attending. Choose a couple reach schools and a few that have lower average stats than yours. If you tell me what you are looking for in a school and what state you live in we could suggest some schools to apply to.

Im looking for schools on the east coast, primary care oriented, I would prefer more southern schools then northern

bschwen1 said:
Im looking for schools on the east coast, primary care oriented, I would prefer more southern schools then northern

umdnjsom has a lot more primary care weeks in their third year than most med schools.

I don't agree that we have "a lot more primary care weeks in their third year than most med schools", most schools seem to have similar core rotations and I think there are guidelines. 4th year is mostly electives with a little ER, FM and surgery specialty thrown in, but 3rd year is pretty basic:

UMDNJ - Geriatrics 4wks , Radiology 2-4wks, Psychology 4wks, Family Medicine 12wks (incl OMM, ambulatory, and hospital), Pediatrics 6wks, OB/Gyn 6wks, Internal Medicine 6wks, Surgery.6wks

NYCOM - Family Medicine - 6 Weeks, Medicine - 12 Weeks , Ob/Gyn - 6 Weeks, Pediatrics - 6 Weeks , Psychiatry - 6 Weeks, Surgery - 12 Weeks

NYCOM 24 wks primary care
UMDNJ 28 wks primary care

You will see similar schedules across the board, MD and DO.

Anyway, I would add PCOM-Georgia, NSU, PCOM, and UMDNJ to that list; I would replace OUCOM with DMU since OU makes you sign a 5 year contract on top of paying more tuition for out-of-staters (and DMU is a really cool place) to make 10. You may also want to consider LECOM-Bradenton if you like PBL and can deal with the strict policies instead of WV since WV charges 48k in tuition alone to out-of-staters. You may want to check out the other schools on the east coast like NY and UNE if they are for you.
Good luck

bschwen1 said:

Your looking good. But I would try to apply to more schools just in case. DMU and CCOM are really good schools too.

CatsandCradles said:
Your looking good. But I would try to apply to more schools just in case. DMU and CCOM are really good schools too.
damn....i wish i had your verbals score, that would put me at 33!! i think a composite of 26 looks pretty good for D.O schools, however, it depends on your overall qualifications as well- when i interviewed at tulane, the dean told us that he is not impress with a 4.0 and 40 mcat because it literally translates to 'no-life'. so, if you are well rounded, i would bet on you getting in....gluck!