Sep 20, 2015
Status
Pre-Occupational Therapy
Hi! I submitted my OTCAS application last week and there is a lot of time left till i will hear back anything from schools so i am freaking out in the mean time. does my application look decent?

My stats:
Overall gpa: 3.58
Pre req: not sure but prbly 3.7-4.0 depending on the school
Major: Physiology
Shadowing hrs: 75 hrs in various settings (outpatient pediatrics, inpatient and outpatient adult, hand therapy)
Work experience: Nursing Assistant at a skilled nursing facility for 2 years (about 1000 hours)
Volunteering: a little over 100 hours volunteering at two hospitals. just started volunteering at a handicap development center.
Other extracurricular: board member in a multicultural student org.

What do you think about my chances of getting in? What would i need to do to improve about my application?

OP
A
Sep 20, 2015
Status
Pre-Occupational Therapy
i applied to 10 schools so far. I feel like some of the schools i chose are reach schools though. I applied to Midwestern il, rush, governors state, Washington university st.louis, kansas medical center, huntington, Creighton , university of minnesota, university of wisconsin-Milwaukee, and university of the sciences.

I don't know if i should i find some more schools and apply. i know my stats aren't horrible but its getting so competitive...

beestrng

7+ Year Member
Dec 10, 2010
Your stats are better than mine when I was accepted. I had a 3.7 sci gpa and my overall gpa was only 3.1-3.2.

OP
A
Sep 20, 2015
Status
Pre-Occupational Therapy
yay! i will worry less now. do you guys know about the competitiveness of the schools i applied to? i know Washington university in st louis and university of Kansas medical center are very competitive. I know midwestern gets a ton of applicants maybe because of it low minimum gpa requirement. Do you guys know anything in particular about the other schools i applied to? do i need to find a few more schools and apply?

Oct 9, 2014
Status
Pre-Occupational Therapy
Rush is competitve, they expect a gre score around 311-313 but they look a lot at your experiences. Milwaukee I've heard of people with average stats get in, since I think it is a new program but I'm not totally sure. I know u washington is competitive, but I;m not sure how many applicants they typically have. Last cycle Midwestern had around 1300 applicants but they look a lot at experience although tend to weed out the lower scores right away. Not so sure on gov state although I know the OT who started the program there and she said one of the biggest things that would help your chances there (and elsewhere) is go in for a visit so they can but a face to the applicant. Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
A
Sep 20, 2015
Status
Pre-Occupational Therapy
thanks ot.3277! thanks for the useful information. I am going to try to visit governors state because distance-wise, it is one of the closest schools to me. and for rush, you meant that they expect a gre score of 311-313 right?