Chances of Dental School Admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

85-29

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm beginning the second semester of my sophomore year, and I wanted opinions on if I'm on track for dental school admission. I'm concerned that my grades aren't good enough for dental school, and my goal is to works towards an upwards trend (that being said, realistically I'm not sure that I will be able to pull of A's in Organic Chemistry II and Physics I and II).

Neuroscience major with Chinese minor
Overall GPA: 3.55
Science GPA: 3.08
Dean's List fall 2014, spring 2015
EC: EMS, Leadership Academy, Pre-Dental Student Association

So far I have over 60 hours of dental shadowing, and over 300 hours of volunteer work. In addition to other volunteer opportunities I've taken part in, I also volunteer as an EMT (not sure if that bodes any differently than other non-healthcare-related volunteer positions).

Thank you for taking the time to read this and offer your opinion! And any advice for future classes, opportunities, etc. is more than welcome.

Members don't see this ad.

Same as the chances to win the lotto this past Wednesday.. Jk.. Get ur gpa up, you'll be ok get out save the world put something cool on ur application and kick a$$ on the DAT tell it gg no re

Reactions: 1 user
I agree with the post above, if you do really well on your DAT and have some unique things on your application, you should be able to land some interviews. Personally, I would be a bit concerned with the science GPA if you were applying this cycle (your overall GPA is solid!) but you have so much time and so many classes to take to start to pull it up a bit. And plus, I've seen posts on here with students landing interviews with those grades alone, so don't fret yet. If you can have that upward trend and increase your science GPA each semester, I think you will only make yourself more competitive and you should be good to go when you're ready to apply.

Boost that sGPA, score a solid DAT, and you are good to go. Best of luck!