DO Chances of DO Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Go_Pokes_11

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-cGPA: 3.7, sGPA: 3.43, (4.0 non-science GPA); strong upward trend (3.78/4.0/4.0) in last 3 semesters.
-MCAT: 510
-Texas resident
-out of state scholarship at Oklahoma State University
-3 years of research in therapeutics, particularly ADHD and pain medication delivery mechanisms. No publications, but during my research 2 new drugs were approved by the FDA.
-150 hours of clinical volunteering, mostly with direct patient contact (rounding on patients in the ER and helping patients complete physical therapy work).
-300 hours community volunteering (Habitat for Humanity, Coaches Vs. Cancer, United Way, Relay for Life, Into the Streets, Big Event, etc.)
-150 shadowing hours distributed evenly in: Neurology, Internal medicine, cardiology, orthopedic surgery, OBGYN, wound care, anesthesiology, emergency medicine, radiology, psychiatry, family medicine, and pediatrics.
-LOR from pre-health committee, research manager, MD physician, and head of the hospital at which I volunteered (all strong).
-Medical mission trip to Nicaragua
-Head of recruitment SigEp fraternity
-Extracurriculars: National pre-health honor society, biochemistry club, pre-health club, intramural (2x softball champs), competitive theater (also raises money for charity), jiu jitsu training, 2 year captain of high school baseball team.

Note: made a 3.13 in one semester with a D in organic I (retook for a B) due to a family member getting cancer and being responsible for taking them to all appointments and surgeries leading to miss a significant amount of the classes. Without grade replacement I stand cGPA: 3.63 cGPA: 3.40 non-science: 4.0

I am mainly considering DO schools because I like and appreciate the holistic approach and feel like I have the best chance here, but if you guys think I would be competitive at any MD schools please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

A 31 / 3.7 / 3.4 with trend is very strong for DO schools. As a Texan it's also worth applying to your state MDs.

Reactions: 1 user
the holistic approach
Also I see this everywhere and have no idea what it means. DO and MD training is not somehow different, aside from the OMM stuff that DO students themselves rarely take seriously

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
You are competitive for all DO schools so apply to several and you should receive interviews. You are also competitive for your Texas state public MD schools so apply to all of them.

Apply to your state MD schools and focus on those. You are good for any DO school and if you apply to 8-10 you should be good. Apply to OSU if you are a graduate or current student. (put that notion of "holistic approach" to bed, the DO approach isn't any different from the MD approach)

(put that notion of "holistic approach" to bed, the DO approach isn't any different from the MD approach)

To add to this: every DO application is going to have some form of "I like DO for it's holistic approach to patients" and I can tell you right now that there is no added DO-only holistic questions that I was required to ask when taking the social history of a patient. Just state you want to learn OMM and leave the rest of your reasoning to "I want to be a physician".

Agree that you should be shooting for MD as well with your stats. Those should be your priority.

Excellent ECs (though take out the high school baseball captain and any other high school ECs since they aren't important for med admissions), solid MCAT, ok GPA. Very strong chances for DO acceptance and decent chances for MD (Being a TX resident definitely helps and that's where your best chances are). Apply to every TX school MD & DO. Baylor is a reach but considering they highly favor IS and the fact you have extensive research experience makes it worth a shot. For MD you can consider schools like VCU, rosalind franklin, rush, loyola, drexel, temple, quinnipiac, Oklahoma (since you were a student there), and creighton (Note this is not an exhaustive list). For DO, you can consider Western, Touro-CA, EVCOM, PCOM (essentially any of your favorite programs).