Chances of DO in Allo Urology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GI Guy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
Im an MS3 and I just finished my Step 1. 260 Usmle, 846 comlex. My question is more for the Allo programs. Will a decent number of programs give me a shot atleast or are Allo uro programs most likely to throw away an application if its DO? Im planning on doing some Urology research soon and should have atleast 1 publication in uro by the time I apply, but probably more. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
A lot of places are going to throw away your application. Not saying that's right, but you shouldn't go into this with rose-colored glasses. I was at a middle of the road program, and in the five years I was there I think we only interviewed 1 DO out of 250+ candidates interviewed in that time period. I'm sure there are some places that are friendlier toward DO's or where DO's have matched in the past. I would ask around at your school, or maybe someone on this board knows of programs. Your board scores are going to help. Hopefully, you have some good research experience as well. Your best chances are probably the AOA programs, so I would put my emphasis there.

To piggy-back off this post, what are my chances with a 245 on step 1 and a 734 comlex for allo uro?

Members don't see this ad :)
To piggy-back off this post, what are my chances with a 245 on step 1 and a 734 comlex for allo uro?
I think one of the biggest issues right now is that not that many DO's apply to Uro b/c they are afraid of the stigma. I'm sure if we apply, we will get more interviews than we expect. Obviously there will be some programs with a bias and not even give us a shot. However, if the numbers and research is there, I don't see why atleast mid tier and low tier wouldn't atleast give us an interview. Just my 2 cents. We shouldn't walk around with a chip on our shoulder and be afraid.

Reactions: 1 users
You're "sure"...based on what?

Your feels?
totally my feels lol
Also, most DO's that score well tend to do pretty well. Not saying upper tier, but definitely mid tier and low tier are possible from anecdotes and and current rosters at uro programs right now

totally my feels lol
Also, most DO's that score well tend to do pretty well. Not saying upper tier, but definitely mid tier and low tier are possible from anecdotes and and current rosters at uro programs right now

It might be useful to the OP to share some of your knowledge of DO friendly programs either on this thread or via PM.

There might be a bias but every year it gets better. TCOM has 2 Uro matches this year at Drexel and LSU New Orleans

There might be a bias but every year it gets better. TCOM has 2 Uro matches this year at Drexel and LSU New Orleans

Drexel was a former AOA program, so no surprise that a D.O had success getting in there.

Also willing to help as much as I can. Send a message. DO resident at an ACGME institution