Chances of DO in Fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WillburCobb

I am the pull out king
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know there are a lot of threads regarding chances of DOs getting into certain residences, but what about fellowships? In particular IM fellowships (namely critical care...). Do DOs stand an equal chance or is there an MD bias?

Members don't see this ad.

Issues are the same. There are tons of DO's who go on to fellowships. I have friends who are DO cardiologists, nephrologist, gastroenterologists, etc.

I know there are a lot of threads regarding chances of DOs getting into certain residences, but what about fellowships? In particular IM fellowships (namely critical care...). Do DOs stand an equal chance or is there an MD bias?

There will always be biases, h*ll there will be program directors that won't take you because they don't like your haircut.

The bigger issue will not be bias, but that if the proposed rules pass (I think they are still pending) you will have to have a MD residency to do any MD fellowship. Thus you can't do: DO school, DO residency, MD fellowship.

Unfortunately, unless something changes there are few DO fellowships meaning if you don't do MD for residency, you will have limited fellowship options.

You are worried way to much about chance! It's all about you and how you do and work hard. If you do well In residency, you will have a shot at any fellowship! Being a DO doesn't limit you if you stay positive and work hard! What ifs will will never take you far. You will just be going in circles! So just work hard and don't worry about these things till you get there. Also my cousin is a DO cardiologist.

DO CLASS OF 2016