1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Chances of DO students for residency spots

Discussion in 'Clinical Rotations' started by healer2be, Oct 22, 1999.

1. healer2be

healer2be Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I know there are DO and MD residency spots. What is the difference between them? and if focused on primary care, does it matter which type I go for?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. prefontaine

prefontaine Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    There are AOA and ACGME residencies (not 'DO and MD').

Generally speaking, the ACGME residencies have higher standards.

Opportunities tend to better if you are ABMS BE/BC, so yes, it probably does make a difference.

Of course, you can always do both.

4. healer2be

healer2be Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Thanks for the reply. However I am unsure of the what the acronym ABMS BE/BC stand for. Also,do I need to concern myself with the standing of the DO School regarding residency or just rely on my own board scores,etc.

Please post reply.

5. prefontaine

prefontaine Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    American Board of Medical Specialties

Board eligible/board certified

ABMS is the gold standard and often considered to be the only BE/BC that counts (by hospitals, medical centers, etc).

The DO school doesn't make that much difference. ACGME res dir rarely make much of a distinction between the schools...they tend to group them together.

Studies indicate that board scores are weighted low on the list of what ACGME res dir look for when ranking applicants. ~7 out of 10, if I remember correctly. When I was applying, I told them that I passed and never provided the #s and I did not sit for part 2 until after the interviews. It did not matter. AOA programs tend to be more concerned about board scores, though I did not apply to any. This is what my classmates relayed to me.

Get Isserson's book on 'Getting Into A Residency', it explains most of what you need to know.