Chances of entering optometry after 3 yrs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Optpremed

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

What are the chances of entering optometry school after three years of undergrad? I know a student can apply to optometry to school after acquiring all the pre-requisites required for optometry. But how likely is it for a student who has finished three years of undergrad and has all pre-requisites for optometry to get in compared to a student with a undergrad degree?

Members don't see this ad.

On paper, I suppose it's possible. However, I don't think that you would do as well simply completing the MINIMUM prerequisites. The course work is very challenging, and a good biology/science background is preferred. I'm sort of speaking from experience, as my B.S. is in Business. I went back to school to complete the minimum prereqs, and I've had a pretty challenging time with some of the first year science courses. The material itself is not that hard, it's just the sheer volume of material that gets you. You have to move fast and absorb so much in a short amount of time.
I strongly recommend taking anatomy and physiology, biochem, optics, and neuro in your undergrad if you can, as well as upper level bio courses. Take that last year in undergrad to beef up your transcript, and get some additional shadowing hours completed.

Hi,

What are the chances of entering optometry school after three years of undergrad? I know a student can apply to optometry to school after acquiring all the pre-requisites required for optometry. But how likely is it for a student who has finished three years of undergrad and has all pre-requisites for optometry to get in compared to a student with a undergrad degree?

If you have all the pre-reqs, good GPA, OAT score, and LORs, you will get in with no problem. Do it and save yourself a year of school. First year will be difficult regardless...........

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for your responses, I'll definitely look into the advice you guys have provided!

Hi,

.......I did that.

There are plenty of people in my class (about 8-10) that are 30+, obviously looking for a career change. One is our OD1 president and he's awesome. His wife is too. I took 2 years off and entered at 23. It's nbd. Just gives you more life perspective, more time to shadow, etc. I honestly think that I am doing better than a decent amount of the 21 year olds in my class who came straight from college because they haven't experienced the crap that is the real world yet. Just my opinion. Don't worry about admission. Complete all your prereqs, kill your OAT and be YOU in interview. Not who you think they want you to be.

If you have all the pre-reqs, good GPA, OAT score, and LORs, you will get in with no problem. Do it and save yourself a year of school. First year will be difficult regardless...........

its worth a try. I did it, and got in

I talked to a couple optometrists back home about it before even trying
their advice to me was exceptional! I will pass on what they said to me in hopes that it will be of benefit to you too:

"Think about it as a years worth of potential income at say $100K vrs whatever you are making now...give it a shot...if you get in, you are 1 year closer to that potential income than you would have been otherwise. the worse they [the schools] could do would be to say no"

glad I took that advice. I would have been wasting a year of my life 'spinning my wheels' in undergrad accruing more student debt...when in reality, in my case, I didn't need to.

its worth a try. I did it, and got in

I talked to a couple optometrists back home about it before even trying
their advice to me was exceptional! I will pass on what they said to me in hopes that it will be of benefit to you too:

"Think about it as a years worth of potential income at say $100K vrs whatever you are making now...give it a shot...if you get in, you are 1 year closer to that potential income than you would have been otherwise. the worse they [the schools] could do would be to say no"

glad I took that advice. I would have been wasting a year of my life 'spinning my wheels' in undergrad accruing more student debt...when in reality, in my case, I didn't need to.

Knowing someone who got in gives me hope for myself! Thank you! That advice is truly a motivating advice! If you don't mind me asking what school do you go to? Also how did you start prepping yourself for the OAT? Around what time did you start applying for optometry school?