Chances of fiance and I getting into same schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tros0836

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished my Junior year in undergrad at the University of Idaho and am applying to 7 Optometry schools this summer. My fiance is applying to dental schools that are in the same cities as the optometry schools I am applying to? What are the chances of us getting into at least one place where we could both go to our schools? Our GPAs are both 3.7 and have quite a bit of shadowing experience. We have some extracurricular activities/ volunteer work, but not an extensive amount like some people I have heard about. I am taking the OAT in a few weeks and he is taking the DAT in a month. We have both been studying about 8 hrs a day and prepping to try to get an above-average-score. I am hoping and praying that we will get into at least one place out of the seven where the schools are close as we plan on getting married soon.

Another question: A scenario that I am thinking would be possible is say I got accepted into Pacific in Oregon and my boyfriend hadn't heard back from the dental school in Portland (which would be right next to each other). How long would I have to decide if I wanted to go there? Because I wouldn't want to accept without knowing if he could go to. Sorry that this post is so long, I just am really needing advice because I am really stressed out about it.
Please tell me honest opinions of our chances assuming we do good on the OAT and DAT and apply to 7 different places.

Members don't see this ad.

3.7 is an excellent GPA for any professional field. You will both definitely get in as long as you do at least average on the DAT and OAT.

Pacific doesn't give you a very big window to decide. You can always pay the deposit and secure your spot then forfeit it if you REALLY want to give up $$$$.

Members don't see this ad :)
How big is the window? And thanks that idea could always work if need be.

You mentioned that you are applying to 7 schools, I guess it depends on what schools you are applying to. Your GPA is a lot higher than mine and I applied to 6. Although I feel like the fact that you guys are trying to stay in the same city makes the wider search valid.

These schools all have Optometry and Dental Programs at the SAME school:
Nova
OSU
Midwestern (Arizona)

Regardless, take your tests, apply early, and when you get your interview invites, cross-reference them and see where you are. A common question in many interviews is "why ____?" I wouldn't recommend using "because my fiancé got accepted to the dental school across town" as my answer. Make sure you really want to go there or you'll be miserable,

I want to say they gave me 2 weeks in the acceptance letter. You can always try to ask for a little more time.

Wow that is not very much time at all! How soon after you apply do you know if they want you for an interview? And then how long after the interview do you know if you got accepted or not?

It depends on how much the school "wants you" to how fast they send you an interview invite. If you apply early enough, it's faster, mine was a few weeks maybe a month. They usually only give you two weeks to "secure your spot" with a non refundable deposit, to matriculated you generally send a larger deposit in April or so. The thing is you can send in multiple of those place holder deposits but 9 times out of 10 you won't get them back if you decide to go elsewhere.

A lot of places give two weeks, but it totally depends. I think SCO in Memphis gave a lot more, depending on when you interviewed and applied. At the time I applied, they were giving like 4-6. But 2 is most common. I put my deposit down at one school to save a seat while I waited to hear from my #1 choice. I got into my #1, so I did lose that $500. However, I feel like that will be pennies in the long run and especially when considering that it was about getting into the right school AND making sure I was going *someplace*.

Another option is to time your applications to where you would hopefully be hearing decisions around the same time. What's the timeline for a decision that he would hear? For optometry schools, if you are one of the more competitive applicants (that means your 3.7 GPA puts you there now, plus if you score very well on the OAT), then from the time your OptomCAS is sent off to when you hear a decision after an interview (and if you schedule the interview to be right away), you could hear something in as little as a month. I was accepted by 2 schools within 1 month, a 3rd school a couple weeks later (first interview date I could make it to), and then my 4th several months later because it's Berkeley and they don't do rolling admissions. If you do decide to wait to apply so that you could delay hearing your decisions, then make sure that you aren't waiting TOO long. You don't want to risk your admissions over losing deposit money instead.

You mentioned that you are applying to 7 schools, I guess it depends on what schools you are applying to. Your GPA is a lot higher than mine and I applied to 6. Although I feel like the fact that you guys are trying to stay in the same city makes the wider search valid.

These schools all have Optometry and Dental Programs at the SAME school:
Nova
OSU
Midwestern (Arizona)

Regardless, take your tests, apply early, and when you get your interview invites, cross-reference them and see where you are. A common question in many interviews is "why ____?" I wouldn't recommend using "because my fiancé got accepted to the dental school across town" as my answer. Make sure you really want to go there or you'll be miserable,

WesternU in California also has opt + dental. good luck!