Chances of general surgery residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futuremd03

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am very interested in general surgery residencies and would like to know the USMLE scores for Step 1 and 2 that will be needed in order to gain a seat. Also, what G.P.A. is needed? I've been in a couple of fellowship programs, will these help? I am a second year, but I do realize that I have to be on top of things in order to match in surgery. I have looked all over the Web at residencies in General Surgery but none of them have the average GPA, USMLE scores, etc. of those accepted for a seat! I don't want to go Prelim. Thank you for your advice.

Members don't see this ad.

If you want a top surgical residency you will need step 1 scores in the >230 range, AOA, honors in surgery (this will depend more on the amount of ass you kiss than your knowledge level) and most importantly excellent letters from professor level surgeons at your school. Research certainly doesnt hurt. However, an average student can get into an average general surgical residency. In general, surgery is less competitive than orth, ent, urology, neurosurg, or derm.

It is an excellent idea to prepare in advance for you r application strategy. However, as a 2nd yr I highly doubt that you have enough exposure to surgery to decide if you it is worth the sacrifices that you will have to endure. My advice is to go into your 3rd yr with an open mind about potential career options.

- A surgery resident

Hi everyone, I need some advice.

I have recently received my USMLE Step 1 score and I performed very poorly compared to what I was hoping to get. I scored 218, with the test average being 228. This is very unusual for me. I am studying at a medical school in Ireland and hoping to get a residency in General Surgery in the US. I am normally at the top of my med school class with many medals and research but did very poorly on this exam.

I am just wondering what my chances would be to get a residency. Any advice to improve my application and anything else that could help.

All advice is welcome. I would really appreciate it. Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread is 14 years old, couldn't you have started your own? If this thread was a person, it'd be hormonal and conflicted.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone, I need some advice.

I have recently received my USMLE Step 1 score and I performed very poorly compared to what I was hoping to get. I scored 218, with the test average being 228. This is very unusual for me. I am studying at a medical school in Ireland and hoping to get a residency in General Surgery in the US. I am normally at the top of my med school class with many medals and research but did very poorly on this exam.

I am just wondering what my chances would be to get a residency. Any advice to improve my application and anything else that could help.

All advice is welcome. I would really appreciate it. Thanks a bunch!

I'm not sure this is the right place, but I'm sure you could find a spot. It probably won't be at a competitive program, but you should have a shot at matching in at least a prelim year in surgery. I would take Step 2 CK in July so as to offset your subpar Step 1 score.

Sorry 1st time using this. Wasn't quite sure where to start a thread.

Thank you for your response. How would that work with matching to a prelim year in surgery?