Chances of geting into Bryn Mawr Postbac???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smiler

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering if someone could shed some light on my chances of being accepted to Bryn Mawr for my postbac. My SAT is rather low (1090) but my undergraduate gpa is quite high, 3.86. I have not completed any pre-reqs since I was a poli-sci major in college. Also I am finishing up my 3rd year of law school. my law school gpa is just under 3.0. For those who are not familiar with law school gpa, please do not try and compare my law school gpa with my undergrad gpa. that is like comparing apples to oranges. Regardless, I think they focus most on your undergraduate gpa. Also I got a 158 on my lsat (75th percentile). Would like to hear what you have to say. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello, I was wondering if someone could shed some light on my chances of being accepted to Bryn Mawr for my postbac. My SAT is rather low (1090) but my undergraduate gpa is quite high, 3.86. I have not completed any pre-reqs since I was a poli-sci major in college. Also I am finishing up my 3rd year of law school. my law school gpa is just under 3.0. For those who are not familiar with law school gpa, please do not try and compare my law school gpa with my undergrad gpa. that is like comparing apples to oranges. Regardless, I think they focus most on your undergraduate gpa. Also I got a 158 on my lsat (75th percentile). Would like to hear what you have to say. Thanks.

What's your motivation for pursuing medicine? You've just finished law school. Do you have any exposure to medicine? This is not a decision to be taken lightly.

what's your motivation for pursuing medicine? You've just finished law school. Do you have any exposure to medicine? This is not a decision to be taken lightly.

listen, if you do not have an answer to my question, then please do not reply by questioning my motivations, etc. Your comment is completely irrelevant to this thread. And btw, i do have exposure to the medical field and know that this is not a decision to be taken likely. But thank you for reiterating such an obvious fact and wasting my time!

Members don't see this ad :)
listen, if you do not have an answer to my question, then please do not reply by questioning my motivations, etc. Your comment is completely irrelevant to this thread. And btw, i do have exposure to the medical field and know that this is not a decision to be taken likely. But thank you for reiterating such an obvious fact and wasting my time!

From the program website: "Since admission to the program is highly selective, we look for applicants who show a strong academic record at both the high school and college level. In general, accepted students have better than a B+ (3.3) average at the college level and standardized test scores consistent with that level of performance. Your motivation for becoming a physician will also be considered, along with your career history, volunteer activities, and any experiences you have had in health care. Letters of recommendation give us further insights into your capabilities."

My comment was in no way irrelevant, as clearly your motivation for pursuing medicine and ECs are a HUGE factor in admissions. Your LSAT score? Not as helpful for evaluating your chances. If you're going to ask random strangers for advice, please don't complain when someone doesn't tell you exactly what you want to hear. I was only doing my best to offer constructive advice.

Good luck in your pursuit of medicine.

Reactions: 1 user

Wow... he was obviously giving you advice. Good luck getting any feedback after that.

Smiler, you posted a thread a month ago about how you're a second year law student but now you're finishing up your third year? Which one is it?

Last edited:
Sry, my bad. About to start third year. What are my chances of getting into bryn mawr? Btw, by the time I apply I will have good clinical experience, which I have already started.

Bumping your thread won't get you answers when you have been a complete tool already in the thread.

Not being a tool just asking for direct feedback to my direct questions. Quantitative factors and past work experience and education are more important to adcom at bryn mawr than why medicine,etc. Most people who apply already have a good answer to that question. U think the people applying to these formal programs are telling adcoms that they want to be doctors for the money and the letters MD after their name? C'mon get real.

I've been lurking for a long while, and this is my first post. So I wouldn't count anything I say as advice as much as a summary of a few months of reading as much about this topic I could find on BM's website and SDN. I'm thinking about applying this fall.

From what I understand, you may be completely off base in believing that the subjective, non-statistical aspect of your application doesn't matter. Plenty of people out there apply with adequate to good stats and don't get interviews at BM or Goucher. Your personal statement WILL matter, and your interviewers WILL be familiar with it and will want to understand your motivations beyond the little you've written. I don't want to say this is the most important piece of your application, since stats matter a lot, but the top programs strongly emphasize that their admissions processes center on finding students who are motivated enough to do something as crazy as compress an entire premed program (and take the MCAT!) in a single year without burning out.

That said, your SAT is low and you should consider taking the GRE. These schools want students who can destroy the MCAT and keep their med school acceptance percentages near-perfect, and a 1070 might not convince an admissions committee that you have the standardized test taking skills necessary to be a slam dunk med school applicant. Also keep in mind that BM's MCAT prep course puts a lot on students to determine their own prep schedule, as opposed to Goucher's weekly full length practice tests, for example.

Feel free to correct any errors, here.

Not being a tool just asking for direct feedback to my direct questions. Quantitative factors and past work experience and education are more important to adcom at bryn mawr than why medicine,etc. Most people who apply already have a good answer to that question. U think the people applying to these formal programs are telling adcoms that they want to be doctors for the money and the letters MD after their name? C'mon get real.

Again, I don't understand why you're asking for advice in this thread when you are clearly very well versed in what the ADCOMs at BM want....

OP, the fact that you will have a JD when u will apply will look AWESOME to adcoms. They will jump at the chance to interview you. Remember, these programs were originally envisioned for career changers, not students straight out of undergrad. The fact that u went to law school shows u can handle the rigors of a professional school. Also, ur low SAT won't be much of a problem because ur applying as a JD. Ur undergrad gpa shows u can handle the coursework. Did u take any sciences in undergrad? Also, ur law school gpa is irrelevant. And if u question that statement, ask a med school adco
, they will tell u that as long as u don't get really bad grades (Cs, etc), you will be fine.

People don't realize how rare it is for a school to have a lawyer apply. Make sure you have a good story, though. Hope this helps.