Chances of getting a recidency after failing first year IMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

avius110

Reaction score
Hi
I am an IMG from Australia. I failed my first year of medical school but have gotten high grades (90%+) ever since. In my USMLE step 1 I got 275 and in my USMLE step 2 CK I got 265.
Do I have any chance of matching in a residency like anaesthesiology or ophthalmologist in the US?
Or did my first year fail kill that chance?
(I have no good reason for explaining why I failed)

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a US citizen? Are you graduating this year or are you a few years out?

Your situation is so unusual that I imagine different PDs would have a different reaction to your application. I suspect that you could find an anesthesiology program as long as there are no other skeletons in your closet. I have heard that ophthalmology is very dependent on your connections, which I'm not sure you can realistically get as an IMG.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you a US citizen? Are you graduating this year or are you a few years out?

Your situation is so unusual that I imagine different PDs would have a different reaction to your application. I suspect that you could find an anesthesiology program as long as there are no other skeletons in your closet. I have heard that ophthalmology is very dependent on your connections, which I'm not sure you can realistically get as an IMG.

I just graduated (we graduate in January rather than midyear). And no I am not a US Citizen

Also are residencies for things like gastroenterology, nephrology or urology realistic?

Last edited:
I just graduated (we graduate in January rather than midyear). And no I am not a US Citizen

Also are residencies for things like gastroenterology, nephrology or urology realistic?
GI and nephrology are fellowships after IM so how and where you do residency for IM will play a large role in getting those fellowships but GI. Is very competitive and difficult for FMGs to get... nephrology is not and is full of FMGs.
Urology is an Uber competitive residency that is hard for even US seniors so even if you were a stellar FMG it would be near impossible. Ortho is also Uber competitive and difficult for FMGs as well.

Reactions: 1 user

What is it that you want to do specifically?
Those fields are so unrelated. I can't tell exactly what you're after.

Do you just want something competitive? Or you want to know how competitive you still are? what SubI's or electives have you done in the US?

What is it that you want to do specifically?
Those fields are so unrelated. I can't tell exactly what you're after.

Do you just want something competitive? Or you want to know how competitive you still are? what SubI's or electives have you done in the US?
Hi
I did an elective in anesthesiology in the US and a few general electives
I was just wondering if I could get into any competitive residency

Where do your passions lie? Wanting to do a specific residency just because it's "competitive" won't get you anywhere. Go into something that you think you can realistically tolerate for the next 30 years.

Reactions: 2 users