Chances of getting accepted into dental schools? Application for 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

predentstudent2121

Reaction score
Hi was just wondering what my chances are for getting into dental schools, including the schools listed. I am from NY, so my state schools are listed Will take recommendations for schools that would also be a good fit.

Overall GPA: 3.78 (Dean's List- All Semesters)
Science GPA: 3.73
DAT Scores: AA 20, PAT 19, TS 19 (RC 21, QR 20, BIO 17, GC 20, OC 20)

Shadowing Experience: Around 150 hours shadowing with a general dentist and pediatric dentist in a private practice setting and a pediatric dentist in a dental clinic setting.
Volunteering Experience: Around 90 hours academic tutoring middle school students, peer mentor for freshmen students, volunteering in a third world country in a medical service trip, working closely with Love Your Melon by organizing events for children battling cancer and spreading awareness of childhood cancer.
Research Experience: Served as a clinical research assistant at a dental school.
Employment: Summer camp counselor for children ages 3-5. Laboratory assistant at a dental lab that fabricated crowns, bridges, and dentures.
Extracurriculars: Pre-Dental Association (Vice President), Love Your Melon (Public Relations Chair), Biological Honor Society, American Society for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Biochemistry Peer Mentor, Biochemistry Club, Global Medical Brigade, Middle School Academic Tutor
LORs: Neurobiology professor, First Year Writing/Advanced Writing professor, Biology Research professor, general gentist (shadowed 80 hours with her), Principal Investigator from clinical research at a dental school, supervisor for my job at dental lab

Schools:
NYU
Columbia
UPenn
Boston University
Tufts
Stony Brook
Buffalo
Touro
Pittsburgh
Temple
USC
Rutgers

Thank you! Appreciate your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, as tiger said, you should be able to get in somewhere. DAT is a little low for Columbia but overall you've applied to a nice spread of schools. I also think you should take a really hard look if you are able to afford some of these schools and if not look into civilian and military scholarships to help fund your education. (Looking at: Columbia, NYU, USC, and Tufts). If these were to be the only schools that you were accepted to (without an HPSP or something like that) I would almost be on the verge of trying to apply the next cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, as tiger said, you should be able to get in somewhere. DAT is a little low for Columbia but overall you've applied to a nice spread of schools. I also think you should take a really hard look if you are able to afford some of these schools and if not look into civilian and military scholarships to help fund your education. (Looking at: Columbia, NYU, USC, and Tufts). If these were to be the only schools that you were accepted to (without an HPSP or something like that) I would almost be on the verge of trying to apply the next cycle.
I have no yet applied. But I'm just wondering what other spread of schools I should be applying to. I am not considering civilian or military scholarships at the moment.

Hi was just wondering what my chances are for getting into dental schools, including the schools listed. I am from NY, so my state schools are listed Will take recommendations for schools that would also be a good fit.

Overall GPA: 3.78 (Dean's List- All Semesters)
Science GPA: 3.73
DAT Scores: AA 20, PAT 19, TS 19 (RC 21, QR 20, BIO 17, GC 20, OC 20)

Shadowing Experience: Around 150 hours shadowing with a general dentist and pediatric dentist in a private practice setting and a pediatric dentist in a dental clinic setting.
Volunteering Experience: Around 90 hours academic tutoring middle school students, peer mentor for freshmen students, volunteering in a third world country in a medical service trip, working closely with Love Your Melon by organizing events for children battling cancer and spreading awareness of childhood cancer.
Research Experience: Served as a clinical research assistant at a dental school.
Employment: Summer camp counselor for children ages 3-5. Laboratory assistant at a dental lab that fabricated crowns, bridges, and dentures.
Extracurriculars: Pre-Dental Association (Vice President), Love Your Melon (Public Relations Chair), Biological Honor Society, American Society for Biochemistry & Molecular Biology, Biochemistry Peer Mentor, Biochemistry Club, Global Medical Brigade, Middle School Academic Tutor
LORs: Neurobiology professor, First Year Writing/Advanced Writing professor, Biology Research professor, general gentist (shadowed 80 hours with her), Principal Investigator from clinical research at a dental school, supervisor for my job at dental lab

Schools:
NYU
Columbia
UPenn
Boston University
Tufts
Stony Brook
Buffalo
Touro
Pittsburgh
Temple
USC
Rutgers

Thank you! Appreciate your thoughts!
Cold shower from me.

You probably will get some attention, but that BIO 17 score is going to throw up warning signs to many schools that may give out priority interviews early. Rule of thumb is to strive for 20's across the board, and many faculty will have their individual preferences for their favorite DAT subscore to NOT be lower than 20.

Of course, all your NY schools are in play: NYU, Buffalo, Stony Brook at least. I'd avoid the Ivies (Harvard, Penn, and Columbia) because of that DAT score not being high enough (talking 22+ with 20s across the board minimum). In addition to BU and Tufts, you probably need more privates along the east coast; USC stands out as being a weird outlier if you're not considering any schools west of the Mississippi.

If you're not going to go for HPSP or NHSC, then check carefully your costs of attendance and go for your least expensive options among private schools in the Midwest and South.

Last edited:
Cold shower from me.

You probably will get some attention, but that BIO 17 score is going to throw up warning signs to many schools that may give out priority interviews early. Rule of thumb is to strive for 20's across the board, and many faculty will have their individual preferences for their favorite DAT subscore to NOT be lower than 20.

Of course, all your NY schools are in play: NYU, Buffalo, Stony Brook at least. I'd avoid the Ivies (Harvard, Penn, and Columbia) because of that DAT score not being high enough (talking 22+ with 20s across the board minimum). In addition to BU and Tufts, you probably need more privates along the east coast; USC stands out as being a weird outlier if you're not considering any schools west of the Mississippi.

If you're not going to go for HPSP or NHSC, then check carefully your costs of attendance and go for your least expensive options among private schools in the Midwest and South.
I’m trying to keep the number of schools I apply to around 10. I believe my experiences, having the opportunity to do co-op at my school. Do you have any advice as I go into applying later this year?

I’m trying to keep the number of schools I apply to around 10. I believe my experiences, having the opportunity to do co-op at my school. Do you have any advice as I go into applying later this year?

my advice would be to apply to more than 10 schools

I must've missed you mentioning this: what was your co-op? And yes, I am fully aware of Northeastern's commitment to experiential learning as would all of your northeast dental schools. And you have a committee letter to include all six of your cited LOR's? How confident is your prehealth advising office with you just applying to 10 schools? (I mean, that is the average number of applications sent per applicant in AADSAS...)

I must've missed you mentioning this: what was your co-op? And yes, I am fully aware of Northeastern's commitment to experiential learning as would all of your northeast dental schools. And you have a committee letter to include all six of your cited LOR's? How confident is your prehealth advising office with you just applying to 10 schools? (I mean, that is the average number of applications sent per applicant in AADSAS...)
My first co-op was at Bicon Dental Implants, working in their dental lab. I was responsible for billing and shipping prosthetic cases, along with working with dentists globally and with in house lab technicians and clinicians on technical parts of cases. My second co-op was doing clinical research at a dental school (located in the Northeast) on a NIH U01 grant working with cavities in young children. Yes the committee letter will have six of my LOR's. 10 was a number they said I should apply to. What are your thoughts? Should I be applying to more?

Many of the schools on your list are 'reach' schools, especially with the given DAT scores (17 in Bio...). Consider adding more private schools to the line-up and applying to more than 10.

Many of the schools on your list are 'reach' schools, especially with the given DAT scores (17 in Bio...). Consider adding more private schools to the line-up and applying to more than 10.
Do you think my DAT score will heavily deter my chances of getting into a school?

Do you think my DAT score will heavily deter my chances of getting into a school?
Not necessarily you seem like a well rounded applicant, but the DAT is an equalizer among applicants and you are setting yourself up for disappointment with this school list.

You need to remove schools like UPenn, Columbia, Pitt..and add private schools like LECOM, MWU-IL, and NOVA.

I have approximately the same scores as you and am also a NY resident. Applied to 4 NY schools and got accepted to 2 and turned down an interview at 1. Currently an Incoming D1. Feel free to message me.