Chances of getting accepted to rutgers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tooth wizard

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow SDNers, I was curious if I had a good chance at getting into Rutgers dental school? My science GPA is 3.65 and cumulative GPA is 3.69. My DAT scores are
21 PAT
19 quantitative reasoning
21 reading comprehension
21 general chemistry
20 organic chemistry
20 biology.
I'm also a NJ resident and am a musician, so I have quite a few extra curriculars. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

The average for RSDM is GPA 3.55 AA 20.4 so your stats are average /sLightly above

Last edited:
I don't know man. It's hard to say, i don't feel like there's an exact science to acceptances into d school. Sometimes people will randomly get accepted, or randomly not accepted.

One thing that I can't understand is how a guy who went to my undergrad got a 26AA on the DAT and had a 3.9 GPA with pretty decent extracurriculars and no red flags didn't even get an interview at my state school. (But he did get plenty of acceptances elsewhere). So I don't know it's really random it seems.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The average for RSDM is GPS 3.55 AA 20.4 so your stats are average /sLightly above

I would say you have as good of a chance as anyone getting in as long as you interview well. Being a NJ resident plays in your favor.

I don't know man. It's hard to say, i don't feel like there's an exact science to acceptances into d school. Sometimes people will randomly get accepted, or randomly not accepted.

One thing that I can't understand is how a guy who went to my undergrad got a 26AA on the DAT and had a 3.9 GPA with pretty decent extracurriculars and no red flags didn't even get an interview at my state school. (But he did get plenty of acceptances elsewhere). So I don't know it's really random it seems.

High stat students are kind of an anomaly with admissions. There is still yield protection concerns for most schools so depending on where else he applied, they didn't want to take the chance of admitting and him declining. I'm assuming that it was HIS state school as well. If not, it makes perfect sense for the reason I just stated. Also, maybe there was a red flag for that particular school--maybe something in his app they didn't like or who knows. I don't think it's random at all though. I think there is a "formula" that each school uses to fill the class, not necessarily a mathematical formula, but they aren't going to fill an entire class with white males with 3.6/21's either. What we don't know is what that formula is for each school, and we will never know.

Rutgers doesn't differentiate between in state or OOS.

Okay, I'll present some information straight out of the ADEA 2015 Guide, and you guys can draw your own conclusions:

1. (Under the residency section) Admissions process distinguishes between in-state and out-of-state applicants: Yes.
2. Generally and over time, percentage of your first-year enrollment that is in-state: 70%.
3. (Application and enrollment table) In-state applicants/enrollees: 326 applicants, 155 interviewees, and 61 enrollees.
4. Out-of-state applicants/enrollees: 1415 applicants, 157 interviewees, and 30 enrollees.

Based on points 3 & 4, the applicant to enrollee rate of IS and OOS students is 19% and 2%, respectively.

Okay, I'll present some information straight out of the ADEA 2015 Guide, and you guys can draw your own conclusions:

1. (Under the residency section) Admissions process distinguishes between in-state and out-of-state applicants: Yes.
2. Generally and over time, percentage of your first-year enrollment that is in-state: 70%.
3. (Application and enrollment table) In-state applicants/enrollees: 326 applicants, 155 interviewees, and 61 enrollees.
4. Out-of-state applicants/enrollees: 1415 applicants, 157 interviewees, and 30 enrollees.

Based on points 3 & 4, the applicant to enrollee rate of IS and OOS students is 19% and 2%, respectively.

Most OOSers are from NY, 10-20% range

Apply early and shoot for the best. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

...or from the horses mouth:

"

Q.Does RSDM give preference to NJ residents?
A.RSDM does give some preference to NJ residents but out of state applicants are welcomed and encouraged to apply.

http://sdm.rutgers.edu/admissions/faqs.htm

Reactions: 1 user
Hey fellow SDNers, I was curious if I had a good chance at getting into Rutgers dental school? My science GPA is 3.65 and cumulative GPA is 3.69. My DAT scores are
21 PAT
19 quantitative reasoning
21 reading comprehension
21 general chemistry
20 organic chemistry
20 biology.
I'm also a NJ resident and am a musician, so I have quite a few extra curriculars. Thanks!
did you end up getting in?