Chances of getting an appeal for academic dismissal

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Nope I was not on academic probation because at my school you have to have below at 3.0 gpa. Even with my C I didn't have below a 3.0
So you're saying that you weren't on academic probation despite already getting a C, struggled this semester and ended with 2 more C's, then suddenly dismissed from your program? Even if your school doesn't put students on probation for C's, most universities have a formal process that leads to dismissal. It's unusual that you did not have to meet with the Dean or other school administrators to discuss your situation and the school to inform you of possible dismissal. Students don't suddenly find out by way of letter and be blindsided. Even if you do appeal and succeed, your DCT has to explain any discipline or concerns with your training in your internship application. That probably won't look so great for you and will affect if you get interviews and/or accepted.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I think the overarching advice here is clear, regardless of the exact specifics at your school/program.

1) Document, document, document. Get as much documentation as you can of the issues impacting your ability to do your academic work this semester.
2) Follow the policies and procedures that are outlined in your school's/program's guidelines. Programs are required to have published rules about how dismissing someone from a program works. If they followed the procedures, you will have a harder time arguing for leniency after the fact than if they didn't follow their own procedures.
3) It sounds as though your last academic class was for this semester, but that you will not apply for internship until fall 2018 because you need to work on your dissertation and whatnot. That also gives you time to retake a course if necessary, before you apply for internship or at a minimum, before you go on internship. I would investigate when and how you can take a course that would make up for the course you got a C in; if it is required for your program to take this course, you'll need to know if it's going to be offered again, when it will be offered, and whether there are other classes that will be offered that would fulfill that requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the overarching advice here is clear, regardless of the exact specifics at your school/program.

1) Document, document, document. Get as much documentation as you can of the issues impacting your ability to do your academic work this semester.
2) Follow the policies and procedures that are outlined in your school's/program's guidelines. Programs are required to have published rules about how dismissing someone from a program works. If they followed the procedures, you will have a harder time arguing for leniency after the fact than if they didn't follow their own procedures.
3) It sounds as though your last academic class was for this semester, but that you will not apply for internship until fall 2018 because you need to work on your dissertation and whatnot. That also gives you time to retake a course if necessary, before you apply for internship or at a minimum, before you go on internship. I would investigate when and how you can take a course that would make up for the course you got a C in; if it is required for your program to take this course, you'll need to know if it's going to be offered again, when it will be offered, and whether there are other classes that will be offered that would fulfill that requirement.
Thank you for your valuable advice. I agree with you that documentation is key in this situation. And very good appeal letter. You are also correct about the class situation I have more then enough time to complete the classes . Even if I need to retake the previous course.

So you're saying that you weren't on academic probation despite already getting a C, struggled this semester and ended with 2 more C's, then suddenly dismissed from your program? Even if your school doesn't put students on probation for C's, most universities have a formal process that leads to dismissal. It's unusual that you did not have to meet with the Dean or other school administrators to discuss your situation and the school to inform you of possible dismissal. Students don't suddenly find out by way of letter and be blindsided. Even if you do appeal and succeed, your DCT has to explain any discipline or concerns with your training in your internship application. That probably won't look so great for you and will affect if you get interviews and/or accepted.
Yeah, I was thinking this about internship, too.

Even if things work out the way OP hopes, things are still bound to be dicey for internship applications.

I can't help but think that this predicament wouldn't happen at smaller, mentor model programs, because at least your faculty mentor would notice these problems and help remediate before they get this far.

Staying with faith, I'm sorry for your grievances/losses due to the death in your family, your illnesses, and your academic problems. Institutions being closed over the holiday does not lessen anxiety and can be frustrating.

The advice others have shared above is excellent. I'll add that although some of the details may differ, you may be interested in contacting Purdue University's Office of the Dean of Students-Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities because they have a Grief Absence Policy for Students Purdue University - Purdue University policies regarding Classes, and a graduate professor, Dr. Servaty-Seib, who specializes in bereavement and grief/loss notably including in higher education cases. People at Purdue could maybe help you think through some of your options and with care. It could be worth a try.

~ Sharewithme

Staying with faith, I'm sorry for your grievances/losses due to the death in your family, your illnesses, and your academic problems. Institutions being closed over the holiday does not lessen anxiety and can be frustrating.

The advice others have shared above is excellent. I'll add that although some of the details may differ, you may be interested in contacting Purdue University's Office of the Dean of Students-Office of Student Rights and Responsibilities because they have a Grief Absence Policy for Students Purdue University - Purdue University policies regarding Classes, and a graduate professor, Dr. Servaty-Seib, who specializes in bereavement and grief/loss notably including in higher education cases. People at Purdue could maybe help you think through some of your options and with care. It could be worth a try.

~ Sharewithme
Thank you I will contact them, because I could really use more insight. I am hoping that I am reinstated so that I can finish up my degree. That is my goal. There has been so many research done in regards to how allergies can affect cognition. So for me it really was out of my hands due to me not understanding how debilitating it was. Remember in the space of the semester I went to 5 different doctors because I was just suffering.

Thank you I will contact them, because I could really use more insight. I am hoping that I am reinstated so that I can finish up my degree. That is my goal. There has been so many research done in regards to how allergies can affect cognition. So for me it really was out of my hands due to me not understanding how debilitating it was. Remember in the space of the semester I went to 5 different doctors because I was just suffering.

I wish you well! Take care.

Ok, the grief and allergies affected you this semester, but, as was noted by others here, those weren't factors when you previously received a C in a course (remember, this single grade would put you academic probation in some other programs) and had to defer applying to internships for a year, because you weren't prepared to defend your dissertation. And even if you do get reinstated, these issues might still affect your competitiveness for internships. I'm just saying that you should hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Ok, the grief and allergies affected you this semester, but, as was noted by others here, those weren't factors when you previously received a C in a course (remember, this single grade would put you academic probation in some other programs) and had to defer applying to internships for a year, because you weren't prepared to defend your dissertation. And even if you do get reinstated, these issues might still affect your competitiveness for internships. I'm just saying that you should hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Psych.meout, I like the way you and others are pointing out these factors.

Staying with faith, I'm quick to point out that you are not doomed, and before making any future decisions I think it helps to feel your points were listened to. Once you have a good grasp on what some of the real problems are, I think you'll be in a better position to articulate these to others who have the power to make decisions, and you'll probably feel more motivated to be rational and take things one step at a time. In complex situations, we break things down by variables, right?

There are a few different problems at hand. First, you have to be in an academic program. There's no reason to defend a dissertation if you are not in an academic program. Also, I don't think internships that are academic-based as opposed to work-based will accept an applicant who isn't in an academic program.

You're indicating you are aware of and do care about preparation (a positive quality - just b/c you're having a rough time and maybe made some mistakes does not mean you don't have good characteristics) because you are planning on applying for internships considering there is a timeline for this. It would require more rushing to apply to internships as you're trying to get re-instated than to not apply for internships at the same time.

It would require more rushing to prepare to defend your dissertation as you're applying for internships than to have already prepared to defend your dissertation at the same time you're applying for internships.

What are your thoughts?