Chances of getting in? I'm started to get really worried

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bml3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!
So I am a senior this year, doing a gap year so I'm not applying until the next cycle and I plan on getting my applications in early. I don't have a great GPA, Overall= 3.32, science = 3.01 with an upward trend (but I'm hoping these will go up some after this school year, and I also took two classes at other schools and got an A in both so that will factor in when I send those transcripts). I took the DAT this past summer and got a 19 so I am planning on retaking it at the end of January because I feel that I need a better score to offset my low GPA.
As for extracurriculars, I am in a sorority and have had some leadership experience and I've done research and received a research award/grant to continue it. I have shadowed various dentists and this past summer I worked as an assistant with a pediatric dentist. I know I need more community service hours so I'm looking into doing more of that during the rest of undergrad and for my gap year my plan is to work as an assistant again.
I'm just wondering if you guys think I have a change of getting in when I apply or if I should be looking into doing a postbac or masters? Also I know of a few schools that I am planning on applying to but if anyone has any recommendations on that, that would be helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a good chance at getting interviews given you continue taking science classes and do well in them to boost your GPA. you mentioned you already got an additional two A's so those will help and doing a postbacc will also help. and maybe raise your DAT by a point or two! :)

Strong rec letters and a strong personal statement are a must. It looks like your ECs and shadowing are great! you're on the right track and have a good plan. Good luck! :)

Dental school is becoming more and more competitive each year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't be discouraged! I have a 3.0 oGPA/sGPA and 22 DAT and have 4 interviews this cycle (3 pre December). Just kill the DAT and apply broad. You can do it!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

You'll have a better chance paired with a 21AA

Last edited:
Don't be discouraged! I have a 3.0 oGPA/sGPA and 22 DAT and have 4 interviews this cycle (3 pre December). Just kill the DAT and apply broad. You can do it!

Oh wow thats awesome to hear. I know it does vary by application though, do you have strong extracurriculars? and what schools do you have interviews for if you don't mind me asking?

Oh wow thats awesome to hear. I know it does vary by application though, do you have strong extracurriculars? and what schools do you have interviews for if you don't mind me asking?
I actually don't have strong extracurriculars IMO. I did volunteer research in undergrad, which really didn't lead to much. I have roughly 200 hours volunteering and shadowing that I have done slowly over the past year and half. I actually never really planned on dentistry until recently though. Since graduating 6 years ago I worked in a lab for a bit and then became a stay at home father. I'm sure there's more an my application that found me be to appealing, but I'd rather not discuss it publicly.

As for schools I got interviews at they are UW, Roseman, NYU and UNLV.

Last edited:
I say retake your DAT and see what happens from there. But you REALLY have to prepare.
Those 2 science classes should give you a nice boost on AADSAS. There is an AADSAS GPA calculator floating around somewhere on SDN, try finding it, plugging in your grades and see what it says, it will give you a better idea.
Good luck in your studies and try not to stress too much about it, I think you have a better shot than you realize!