Chances of getting in MCAT 499

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whatumacall

Reaction score
Hello,

I have about a 3.89 GPA with a retake of 499 MCAT score with 1000 hours of scribing and 800 hours volunteering at a hospital as about 50 hours at a food bank. What are my chances of getting in?

My first MCAT was a 496 and I knew I should have voided that day but decided to retake it a week later knowing that I could do better due to my practice exams going from 498, 506, 508,511, 512, 516 and BP 520 . I think the anxiety killed me during the test still not sure.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Chances are very low and in fact, I can't recommend applying until you get your test taking anxiety in order. Your score puts you in a risk zone for failing out of med school and/or failing Boards.

Reactions: 1 user
I actually already applied and due to COVID my original MCAT dates were canceled. I thought I would have been able to do better because I even bought a blue print exam a week before my exam and when I took it I scored a 520. However I think I was stressed and very anxious on the actual exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Chances are very low and in fact, I can't recommend applying until you get your test taking anxiety in order. Your score puts you in a risk zone for failing out of med school and/or failing Boards.
I also appreciate you taking the time to reply.

• Care
There is a table somewhere with this data, but I am not exactly sure where. Your chances are like less than 15%, but hey, "you're saying there's a chance right?"

Which schools did you apply to ? Where is your state of residence ?

California. I applied to midwestern arizona, AT STILL, western, PAcific northwest , kentucky pikeville and california health science

There is a table somewhere with this data, but I am not exactly sure where. Your chances are like less than 15%, but hey, "you're saying there's a chance right?"

5BD1DDE1-08D7-4E66-9797-019F3073D50F.png

is this the chart your referring to?

These are DO schools where you could receive an interview with a MCAT of 499 and your GPA of 3.89 and your ECs:
VCOM (all 4 schools)
CUSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
UIWSOM
WCU-COM
UP-KYCOM
WVSOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LECOM (Erie, Seton Hill, Elmira)
ICOM
BCOM
LMU-DCOM
LUCOM
Most of these schools have MCAT medians in the 498 to 502 range so you could receive interviews at any of them.

Reactions: 1 users
I disagree with GORO.
I think if you apply to FAHA's list above, you'll get accepted somewhere and pass boards down the road.

Good luck!

Your chances are good for getting in. Had similar GPA and MCAT (3.859 and 498) and applied to many of the schools on Faha's list. I received 7 interview invites and was accepted by September.

Your chances are good for getting in. Had similar GPA and MCAT (3.859 and 498) and applied to many of the schools on Faha's list. I received 7 interview invites and was accepted by September.
What 7 schools did you interview at?

What 7 schools did you interview at?

Apologies for the typo, I received 6 interview invites and attended 2 - LECOM-E, KYCOM, WVSOM, LMU-DCOM, VCOM, LUCOM.

Apologies for the typo, I received 6 interview invites and attended 2 - LECOM-E, KYCOM, WVSOM, LMU-DCOM, VCOM, LUCOM.
LUCOM don't count

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
LUCOM don't count ;)

Two years ago when I applied I was skeptical of the program but I had to cast a wide net with my low MCAT. If I was an applicant now, I wouldn't even consider throwing my net in waters near LUCOM :rofl:

Reactions: 1 users