Chances of getting in now..do I retake DAT??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ltgallagher12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

Just looking for some advice. I have already applied to dental school this cycle with the following stats:

19 AA/19 PAT
Overall GPA 3.74

My recommendations/research/shadowing is strong. However I did score low on the OChem section of the DAT (15) . I could retake the DAT in September but it would be extremely difficult with my full time job at the moment. What are my chances of getting in without retaking it? Do you think it is possible for me to get an acceptance without the retake? Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

USC
Western
UConn
Howard
University of Louisville
BU
Tufts
University of Maryland
UNC
Case Western
Temple
University of Pittsburgh
Virginia Commonwealth
Marquette
MSC
University of Tennessee
Oregon Health and Science

Members don't see this ad :)
One thing to add:
I have a somewhat unconventional academic background...I graduated in May in biomedical engineering and I now work at a healthcare software company. Not sure if that will hurt or help my application.

I think most people would strongly advise you to retake as a 15 in OC will automatically filter you out in most dental school's initial screening.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you! I know it's probably the best option, but I'm not eligible to retake the DAT until September 30th (I know it's a little late for this cycle).

Definitely retake, just because of that 15. Since you already applied, I think the best thing to do is to keep on track with everything, and let schools know that you plan on retaking. Your gpa is strong, and I'm assuming you have good EC/shadowing hours. Kill the DAT the second time around, and you'll have a good chance- good luck!!

Your stats are good and definitely competitive. The only issue would be that 15 OCHEM