Chances of getting in? Stress level on high

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FadingHope

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to know if I have any chances at all at getting into pharmacy school. PharmCAS just calculated by GPA today and I have a 2.2 science GPA and 2.41 Overall. Ive read that to even be considered you need a 2.5. The first time I took the PCAT I got a 54 and the second time I got a 72. I have 3 years of pharmacy tech experience and 1 year as a senior tech. I have already applied to 6 schools and I have this feeling that they wouldn't even consider looking at my application because of my low GPA. I repeated alot of chemisty courses but I do have my bachelors in chemistry (although I hear it doesnt help).

I hate to make excuses for myself but working fulltime (to pay for classes) will taking classes fulltime was very hard for me and my GPA suffered alot. It wasnt until my senior year when I started to cut back from my hours the my grades got better, however by then it was to late.

I spent almost 2k on the process of getting into pharmacy school and I feel like it was all a waste. Do you think I have any chance at all??

Members don't see this ad.

I would hate to say that your chance of getting into one of the reputable schools is pretty slim, though you can get in some newer pharmacy school if you apply broadly. Honestly, like bulldog1123's source said, please reconsider your decision for your best interest. I know this is not what you want to hear, but it might be good for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there is a steep cutoff at around 3.0. Your GPA is significantly under that and your PCAT score doesn't really make up for it. I'd say you have no chance but who knows...

I would like to know if I have any chances at all at getting into pharmacy school. PharmCAS just calculated by GPA today and I have a 2.2 science GPA and 2.41 Overall. Ive read that to even be considered you need a 2.5. The first time I took the PCAT I got a 54 and the second time I got a 72. I have 3 years of pharmacy tech experience and 1 year as a senior tech. I have already applied to 6 schools and I have this feeling that they wouldn't even consider looking at my application because of my low GPA. I repeated alot of chemisty courses but I do have my bachelors in chemistry (although I hear it doesnt help).

I hate to make excuses for myself but working fulltime (to pay for classes) will taking classes fulltime was very hard for me and my GPA suffered alot. It wasnt until my senior year when I started to cut back from my hours the my grades got better, however by then it was to late.

I spent almost 2k on the process of getting into pharmacy school and I feel like it was all a waste. Do you think I have any chance at all??

Everyone here already gave you really good advice. I just think you have too high of a mountain to climb assuming you do get into a pharmacy school. If you do decide to go through with this, let's assume you get into a decent school... I want you to really think about the following:

How would you feel seeing all your other classmates seemingly easily understanding class material while you struggle?
How would you feel spending all your time studying and playing catch up while your classmates are "networking" or having fun partying?
Do you want to be ostracized by your classmates and instructors because you're the "dumb one"?
How about the scenario where you land a good internship at either a retail or clinical setting. Could you really turn it down? But you should right and you know it would be a detriment to your grades but what would you do?

From what you've written I have grave reservations in suggesting you to work while in pharmacy school. These are the kinds of feelings and conflicts you will have to deal with, and this is assuming that school goes well for you.

Pretty sweet to see my own thread, thanks for spreading the good information!

I wouldn't bother applying if I were you. Chances of failing out are high. Sorry to be blunt.

Getting accepted is the easy part. Graduating is more difficult. Finding a job after you graduate will be even more difficult.

So I got an interview to a school that has been around since 2004....I feel like I'm getting played lol

Reactions: 1 user

I'm sorry but I have to agree with the other posts. I worked full time while in school and my GPA is a 3.77. Therefore that isn't a good excuse at all. If you can't handle working and going to school undergrad it will be even harder in a demanding program as pharmacy school. I would suggest to reconsider. You wouldn't want to find yourself 100k in loans for going to pharmacy school and realizing that you can't make it.

I'll give you my testimony my overall GPA was a 2.8 and my science GPA was a 2.6. I applied twice before getting in at 3 schools after applying to 15 schools. Your strong PCAT score can definitely help but most schools will not consider you if you don't have a 2.5 so you gotta raise your GPA somehow.

Reactions: 1 user

Some students that have a low GPA, but a decent PCAT, end up doing well in PharmD programs. However, you can't continue to utilize the same study habits that you did in undergrad. The PCAT shows you have the ability, but you will need to execute in the classroom because Pharmacy School is intense. I would recommend you proceed to apply to programs that are willing to take risks on students (mainly newer programs looking to fill a class). However, when you get there, you have to show up with the knowledge that you have to change your study habits, be open-minded to what kind of pharmacist you want to be, and not be committed to living in a specific location. If you are willing to make those concessions, you should proceed.