1. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
Hey, Guest, do you know how much will it cost you to apply to medical school? Check out SDN's Medical School Application Cost Calculator and plan your budget.

Chances of getting in with a 2.9 gpa

Discussion in 'What Are My Chances?' started by fahani, Jan 14, 2014.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. fahani

fahani

Jan 14, 2014
    2.9 overall gpa. 2.0 science gpa at the moment but hoping to improve.
    2 failed classes but retook them.
    I am a junior in college and have not taken MCAT yet.
    Is there hope?

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. fahani

fahani

Jan 14, 2014
    2.9 overall gpa. 2.0 science gpa at the moment but hoping to improve.
    2 failed classes but retook them.
    I am a junior in college and have not taken MCAT yet.
    Is there hope?

4. Shaq

Shaq 7+ Year Member

May 31, 2010
    the deficit in overall GPA isn't something you can't overcome, if you got it to at least a 3.0, but the sGPA of 2.0 is very low. i know some self-righteous SDNer will be appalled by me saying this, but you really have to assess if medicine is the correct career for you. that being said, i don't know your whole story. you should discuss your situation with your school's premedical adviser and see what options you have.

5. Catalystik

Catalystik Providing herd protection SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

What is your GPA without the failed classes? Since you retook them, DO med schools would not include them in your application GPA (assuming the credit hours are the same or greater).

You might figure out how many more you'd need to retake to get your sGPA above a 3.0.

6. Narmerguy

Narmerguy Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Merging identical posts.

7. Goro

Goro 7+ Year Member

For either DO or MD school, as of right now? Chances are zero.

Retake all F/D/C science coursework. The easiest path will be for DO programs (thanks to AACOMAS' grade replacement policy).

You can do this at your UG school, or in a post-bac, either an organized one, or a DIY.

OR: enroll in a SMP given by a medical school. These programs are your backdoor into medical school.

Then ace the MCAT. There ARE MD schools that reward reinvention.

But before you do any of this, fix whatever deficits caused you to do so poorly.

And always have a backup plan. That's a sign of maturity.

8. Ashess

Ashess

Jan 16, 2014
    Try an SMP and easy your way in from there. Try to finish strong so they can at least see an upward trend.

9. CapCrunch

CapCrunch 2+ Year Member

Oct 31, 2012
    East of Eden
    No decent SMP will accept op with those stats. In addition, there's no reason to believe that they would succeed in a rigorous smp with a 2.0 sgpa.

You need to first prove it to adcoms AND yourself that you can handle tough science courses before going the smp route.

chemguy79 likes this.