PhD/PsyD Chances of getting in with a 3.2 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aynarta

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I really need some guidance on the probability of getting into a Ph.D program this fall. I was an RA for three years of undergrad and first-authored 3 posters during that time. I graduated in June 2020 and have been a lab manager since then for my undergrad lab.

My concerns are my 3.2 GPA from being pre-med at first; my verbal GRE is great, my quant not so much

I'm wondering if:

1. I have a shot and should apply for Ph.D programs this fall
  2. I should apply for a Master's to strengthen my GPA and potentially get a publication
  3. Continue working as a lab manager, possibly get a pub in that time, and apply next fall

Members don't see this ad.

Since you have research experience and 3 posters already, I would apply this cycle while continuing to engage with ways to improve your CV.

Programs are primarily looking for relevant experiences and good fit so depending on the program/PI and your competition, it's really hard to tell in advance how GPA will be perceived. It could matter a lot, moderately, or not at all.

A Master's would probably be more relevant for somebody with minimal research experience so your efforts and energy might be better placed elsewhere, even if you aren't successful this cycle (unless you could be happy doing a MA/MS that results in a Master's level license to practice if you stop with your education).

Members don't see this ad :)
I would normally say low, but a 3.2 premed is different than a 3.2 psych major in some key ways. what was your major / major GPA?
It was low when I was taking the premed classes because they sucked the life out of me, like a 3.4/.5 and there's definitely an upwards trend.

Just my 2 cents, about 2 years ago I graduated with a 3.1 after struggling HARD dealing with death and financial struggle. I reached out to numerous programs and even some former APA presidents asking what I can do. The majority of the programs explained they would look very favorably if Pursued a masters and did very well above a 3.5. Keep in mind-I emailed a lot of psyd programs as I have only about 4 months of research at a local hospital. So take my advice with a grain of salt. I would say, email programs you’re interested in, ask them questions. My masters in clinical counseling professors were all PhD psychologists and 1 PsyD. They all advised me to email the programs. I was told
It can possibly make you stand out a bit and makes you look determined.

Just my 2 cents, about 2 years ago I graduated with a 3.1 after struggling HARD dealing with death and financial struggle. I reached out to numerous programs and even some former APA presidents asking what I can do. The majority of the programs explained they would look very favorably if Pursued a masters and did very well above a 3.5. Keep in mind-I emailed a lot of psyd programs as I have only about 4 months of research at a local hospital. So take my advice with a grain of salt. I would say, email programs you’re interested in, ask them questions. My masters in clinical counseling professors were all PhD psychologists and 1 PsyD. They all advised me to email the programs. I was told
It can possibly make you stand out a bit and makes you look determined.
This is really solid advice, I appreciate it!

This is really solid advice, I appreciate it!
I’m in the same boat as you, the only thing keeping me going is hope and determination and I would imagine it’s the same for you. Keep in mind this-a lot of PsyD programs have suspended the GRE for this cycle due to covid. We both have an uphill battle but fight like you belong. Go HARD on your supplementary materials, make them see what’s different about you than the others. Also-the professors advised me to create a well rounded picture. I lack research and I couldn’t find any so I volunteered as a youth hockey coach for two years, became a mentor for kids on the ASD spectrum and Joined a local chapter of a world wide charitable organization raising morning for many causes. If you’re looking at psyds next year I would advise to get involved in the community, show them you’re about your community as MANY are now looking for people who want to serve the broader community. Most of all-keep the faith. Will we get to Harvard or the best doctoral program? Almost certainly not, will we go somewhere and fulfill what we want to do, heck yea! Best of luck to you!!!!