Chances of Getting In ??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JD0911

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am applying this summer to about 7 schools. Here are my stats: (bad I know)

GPA: 3.0
Science : 2.8
Non Sci: 3.23
OAT: 300 (I plan on taking 1 more time before applications come out)

I have 3,320 hours working in an optometric technician as of right now (not including full time this summer) Ive had a full time job as a doctor technician since I was 16 and have acquired a lot of optometric skills already and can cut and grind lenses as an optician.
I also have 280 hours of undergraduate research with real participants in a sleep study.
I am in an honor society, vice president of a sorority and am involved in a few other on campus organizations.

Any thoughts? Be honest please!!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a shot if you apply early. Since you are retaking your OAT I would say study hard and aim as high as you can. A higher OAT will offset your gpa and make you more competitive. The hardest thing is getting an interview and that means passing the academic qualifying round that most schools have. Once you get an interview they are going to evaluate you and see if you have what it takes. Your time spent as a tech will be a great help during your interviews. Good luck.

I had similar if not worse stats. My OAT was the same and my gpa was lower. I applied to 3 schools and was able to interview at all of them. Currently trying to choose between schools which I didn't expect to ever be a problem for me.

I wouldn't stress. They were all highly interested with my experience for two years as a technician and scribe and will be just as interested with your experience in the field too. I think when admissions is seeing that, along with strong recommendation letters showing you are great in the field, it will overshadow the below average areas of your application.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had similar if not worse stats. My OAT was the same and my gpa was lower. I applied to 3 schools and was able to interview at all of them. Currently trying to choose between schools which I didn't expect to ever be a problem for me.

I wouldn't stress. They were all highly interested with my experience for two years as a technician and scribe and will be just as interested with your experience in the field too. I think when admissions is seeing that, along with strong recommendation letters showing you are great in the field, it will overshadow the below average areas of your application.

Where did you apply!!

I am applying this summer to about 7 schools. Here are my stats: (bad I know)

GPA: 3.0
Science : 2.8
Non Sci: 3.23
OAT: 300 (I plan on taking 1 more time before applications come out)

I have 3,320 hours working in an optometric technician as of right now (not including full time this summer) Ive had a full time job as a doctor technician since I was 16 and have acquired a lot of optometric skills already and can cut and grind lenses as an optician.
I also have 280 hours of undergraduate research with real participants in a sleep study.
I am in an honor society, vice president of a sorority and am involved in a few other on campus organizations.

Any thoughts? Be honest please!!

lol I was just doing the same thing trying to find the answer on Google. Use this: http://bemoacademicconsulting.com/med-school-acceptance-calculator-msac It give you your "msac score" or I guess it's chances of getting into med school base on your stats. I am assuming they made this using statistical data

Reactions: 1 user
What do you all think about people who reapply to optometry school? I got waitlisted but I don't think I have a shot because I applied so late and my OAT scores were low 280. My GPA is 3.6 with 3 years of clinical experience in optometry. Is it bad to withdrawl and reapply early and stronger because I am planning on retaking or should I wait and retake my exam now but I know I wont get a high school like i want maybe it will stay the same or go higher to a 300. I am terrified right now.

What do you all think about people who reapply to optometry school? I got waitlisted but I don't think I have a shot because I applied so late and my OAT scores were low 280. My GPA is 3.6 with 3 years of clinical experience in optometry. Is it bad to withdrawl and reapply early and stronger because I am planning on retaking or should I wait and retake my exam now but I know I wont get a high school like i want maybe it will stay the same or go higher to a 300. I am terrified right now.
If I were you, I might retake later and reapply next cycle with a stronger application. Focus on bringing that OAT score up! Your GPA is solid.

Do you think a withdrawal of my application will look bad?