Chances of getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

krysp1243

Reaction score
Hi, so I have a 3.6 GPA, 3.4 sGPA, I have a lot of volunteer and research hours, great LORs, and I am a dental assistant so I have worked in a dentist office for a few years now.
However, my DAT scores are not great and I cannot retake them in time to apply this round.

PAT: 25
QR: 16
Bio: 17
Chem: 20
Orgo: 19
RC: 19
TS: 18
AA: 19

I am well aware that these are not great scores, but I was really hoping to apply this round. Do you think it is worth it, or are my chances really that low that I should just wait to apply until next year?

Members don't see this ad.

Date of submission:
Overall GPA:

Science GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
State of Residence:

Major:
Minority?
Reapplicant?
Nontrad?

Shadowing Experience:

Volunteering Experience:
Employment:
Research:

LOR type and strength:
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere:

School list:

Reactions: 3 users
Date of submission:
Overall GPA:
Science GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
State of Residence:

Major:
Minority?
Reapplicant?
Nontrad?

Shadowing Experience:
Volunteering Experience:
Employment:
Research:

LOR type and strength:
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere:

School list:

Date of submission: was planning on submitting today, but not sure if I should anymore.
Overall GPA: 3.65
Science GPA: 3.42
DAT score (include AA and all sections): PAT: 25, RC: 19, GC: 20, OC: 19, Bio: 17, QR: 16, AA: 18, TS: 18
State of Residence: Virginia

Major: Biology (believe me I was shocked about my DAT Bio score too)
Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: Over 100 hours
Volunteering Experience: Over 200 hours
Employment: Dental Assistant
Research: around 70-80 hours of research

LOR type and strength: 1 from my employer (Dentist), 2 from Bio professors. All 3 are strong LORs, very close relationship with all 3.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: I am nationally X-Ray certified

School List: VCU, AT STILL(AZ), DCG, ECU, LECOM, MSC, NSU, USN, BUF, ALA, FLA, MICH, UNC, WVA

Members don't see this ad :)
Date of submission: was planning on submitting today, but not sure if I should anymore.
DAT score (include AA and all sections): PAT: 25, RC: 19, GC: 20, OC: 19, Bio: 17, QR: 16, AA: 18, TS: 18

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

LOR type and strength: 1 from my employer (Dentist), 2 from Bio professors. All 3 are strong LORs, very close relationship with all 3.

School List: VCU, AT STILL(AZ), DCG, ECU, LECOM, MSC, NSU, USN, BUF, ALA, FLA, MICH, UNC, WVA

Hey! Your application looks complete/decent - and the earlier you submit the better. I just submitted a little over a week ago, so I’m kinda in the same boat. What’s keeping you from submitting?

Last edited:
Your application looks complete/decent - and the earlier you submit the better. I just submitted like 2 weeks ago, so I’m kinda in the same boat. What’s keeping you from submitting?
I was worried with having an average GPA that I would need a high DAT score so I was waiting until I received my DAT scores to see if I should apply this round or not. I ended up submitting my application today anyways and I am just hoping for the best. It's good to hear that someone else has applied later in the summer as well. Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
I was worried with having an average GPA that I would need a high DAT score so I was waiting until I received my DAT scores to see if I should apply this round or not. I ended up submitting my application today anyways and I am just hoping for the best. It's good to hear that someone else has applied later in the summer as well. Best of luck to you!
Yeah, I was delayed because my DAT/ shadowing was pushed back a couple months. Other people are still trying to take their DAT, so maybe we should consider ourselves lucky. Good luck to you too!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

you can still apply, but realize that your chances at the public schools on the end of your list are not high...
add more private schools...

Minority? No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Your GPA is above the matriculation for many dental schools. Just have a good list to apply to. Overall, your stats on the DAT aren't bad and you shouldn't have a problem receiving interviews (if you choose your schools wisely, I suggest purchasing ADA Dental explorer for $25 to get a better knowledge of which schools your stats range in). QR is the least considered score they care for while biology could be one of the top considered scores they care for. Just know it's possible to still get in as I know people that have gotten a 17 in biology and got accepted. Be optimistic.

Just a note I think that ECU only accepts North Carolina residents so it's likely not worth your time to apply there. For reference out of the 54 OOS applicants in 2019, not a single one enrolled at ECU (ADEA Explorer). As a result, it's probably a waste of your money considering you are a Virginia resident. Make sure if you are applying to OOS state schools that you are looking at how out of state friendly they are, some of the ones on the list do not accept many OOS students.

Reactions: 3 users
Your profile is decent other than your DAT is below average. If you don’t get in this cycle you should do an exhaustive study of the DAT and do a retake before applying again next year. Also, I really don’t like your list of schools your applying to: DCG, ECU, MSC, BUF, ALA, FLA, UNC, WVA are all oos unfriendly! I agree with someone above, add some private schools and some oos friendly schools using the adea guide. I have attached an old copy of it here, honestly the data you see here is more or less still accurate, but if you can find a newer copy, that would be ideal. Go to pages 47-49 and see how many IL residents each school took to get an idea as to which schools are oos friendly to IL residents:

Reactions: 2 users