Chances of Getting into a Dental Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Goonersaurus

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have recently applied to 7 dental schools (UoP, UCSF, UCLA, U Conn, SIU, UT San Antonio, and UT Houston).
GPA: 3.99
sGPA: 3.98
DAT: 21
100+ hours Shadowing/interning
150+ hour biochem research
100+ hour volunteering

I finished my second year of college in May and took the DAT in the beginning of July. I will be graduating from my university after three years as I took extra classes each semester and summer classes.

Does anyone think applying a year earlier than traditional students will hinder my chances of getting acceptances? Many professors and friends have told me I am rushing into dental school and should take more time, however, I would have been bored if I did not push myself. Essentially, what kind of chances am I looking at into getting accepted into a program?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied last cycle in your same situation (having completed two years of college, with the intent of graduating for three years instead of the traditional four). My stats were 4.00, 23 AA/23 TS/27 PAT and around the same hours for everything as you. Initially, I thought the same as you, that adcoms would see me as too young and immature but to my surprise, my age never came up in any of my interviews. However, I did have to answer a few questions about why I decided to graduate only for 3 years instead of 4.

In the end, I applied to 15 programs, got invited to interview at 10, attended 7 of those 10 interviews, and got accepted to 6 of those 7 schools. I ended up matriculating at my top program, so I’d say everything went just as I had hoped!

Know yourself, know why you want to go into dentistry, know why you decided to finish college early (not just because you were “bored”), and you will be fine.

If you have other questions, PM me!

Edit: I also faced tons of criticism from my advisors, who told me not to apply so early, that I should take gap years, but I really didn’t think I needed to.

Reactions: 1 user
Awesome thank you! I don't have a standout reason for wanting to graduate early other than to save money. The opportunity was there and was confident I could take it. Best of luck to you in school and your career.

Members don't see this ad :)
What's your state of residency? If it's not CA, then the UCs may be reaches because your DAT is slightly below their averages. If it's not TX, then I'd say the Texas schools are definitely out of your reach. You should add more schools to your list because 7 (and really competitive) schools may be too few with a 21 (the average for matriculation is about 20.7 ~ 21). Better to be safe than have to reapply.

CA resident however my brother lives in Texas so I may have a slight in from that. I only have 7 because those are the only ones I would be able to afford. Wanted to add UNLV but I won't be taking human anatomy by next spring.

CA resident however my brother lives in Texas so I may have a slight in from that. I only have 7 because those are the only ones I would be able to afford. Wanted to add UNLV but I won't be taking human anatomy by next spring.
i agree with artist (as usual)
4 out of 7 of your schools are the most competitive schools in the country
UOP likes high DAT scores too (and is very expensive)

Do you think 21 is too low then? UoP has their average as 22 so I am just below that but my gpa is much higher than just about all schools. Also, cost would even out due to two extra years of income.

Do you think 21 is too low then? UoP has their average as 22 so I am just below that but my gpa is much higher than just about all schools. Also, cost would even out due to two extra years of income.

i didn't say it was too low
i said they like high DATs
it's actually only 1 year of extra income, but it is one more year at PEAK income
plus, i do not think that your brother living in texas gives you too much extra chance at getting in OOS

Gotcha. I like to call it two because I'm saving a year in college. Thanks for your input

Gotcha. I like to call it two because I'm saving a year in college. Thanks for your input
yes, but you get that one year whether you go to uop or a 4 year school, so you don't get 2 extra years by going to uop

I don't think you will have any sort of in at all due to your brother. Your GPA may be high yes, but GPAs can only take you so far because the DAT is an equalizer. People can go to a UC and get a low GPA, or they can go to a CSU and get a high one, but dental schools don't know how hard/easy an undergrad was until they look at your DAT score in relation to your GPAs.

Definitely add a couple more schools so that you aren't left reapplying next cycle.

Status
Not open for further replies.