Chances of getting into a Texas Dental School (Houston/Baylor/San Antonio)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rockchalk10

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All! I am curious if anyone can help me with a question I have about the Texas dental schools.

What kind of statistics does an "out-of-stater" need to have a good chance at getting in (or even getting an interview) at UT-Houston, Baylor, or UT-San Antonio? I am from Kansas and (if it matters) Kansas does not have a Dental School.

I would like to know what everyone thinks about the topic. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

From what I've seen from the ADEA Dental School Guide, only like 1 or 2 out of staters get into the Texas schools, so I think your stats would either have to be phenomenal, or you'd need some connections with the Adcoms with a LOR or something. The Texas schools look pretty awesome, but sadly for us out of staters the odds are stacked pretty far against us.

Are all state schools like that? I feel like I've heard other schools accept more than 1 or 2 students.

Also, what kind of stats would be considered phenomenal?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are all state schools like that? I feel like I've heard other schools accept more than 1 or 2 students.

I feel like most state schools are about the same way...maybe a little more lenient. I was interested in the TX schools at first too, but then after learning they're so focused on themselves that they hardly bother with out-of-staters AND use their own "special" application service, I got over it... and I would guess phenomenal stats would be 3.8+, 22+ ?

I think Nebraska would be a good option

Most state schools are not as restrictive as Texas, but often sate schools have at least 50% of the class instate only. This is something that is very important to consider when applying, and is one of the reasons why the ADEA guide to dental schools is such a great book to have, because it gives you the complete breakdown of instate / out of state students at each school.

i think if you have above average stats it's worth a shot. the hardest part is getting an interview - the acceptance rate for out of staters that are interviewed is actually quite favorable.

just be sure to mention in your secondary why you are considering in texas schools in particular. convey some established interest. i applied from out of state (the northeast), and was accepted w/ scholarship to the one in which i mentioned family nearby and not even considered at the one where i didn't mention that. i also think they will be more understanding given that kansas doesn't have it's own state dental school.

good luck!

i think if you have above average stats it's worth a shot. the hardest part is getting an interview - the acceptance rate for out of staters that are interviewed is actually quite favorable.

just be sure to mention in your secondary why you are considering in texas schools in particular. convey some established interest. i applied from out of state (the northeast), and was accepted w/ scholarship to the one in which i mentioned family nearby and not even considered at the one where i didn't mention that. i also think they will be more understanding given that kansas doesn't have it's own state dental school.

good luck!

So their secondary is the the type all applicants fill out...and not just a certain group that they are interested in, right? Because I know that's how UF's secondary is for example...

yeah, all applicants fill out the secondary app.

Texas legislator says that 90% of each class must be from in state, but also mentions something along the lines of applicants from surrounding states with no dental schools being given better odds than out of staters since they have no dental school in their state. I don't know if Kansas would count as surrounding states, but you would definantely have an advantage of just being an out of stater since Kansas has no dental school.

good luck!

Just curious, which Texas school were you accepted to? I wanted to apply to UT San Antonio because my dad graduated from medical school there and my cousin is about to start dental school there. My entire dad's side of the family also lives in Houston. Can I mention this on the secondary application?

good luck!

What were you stats like, if you don't mind me asking?