% Chances of getting into an MD School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

% Chance of gaining acceptance to any MD school in(assuming interview goes well)

• 0% (Not a chance)

Votes: 4 6.8%
  • 25% (Not a great chance)

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • 50% (50/50 shot)

Votes: 17 28.8%
  • 75% (You have a decent chance)

Votes: 25 42.4%
  • 100% (You're in!)

Votes: 6 10.2%

• Total voters

dabombers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MCAT: 29M (12-7-10)
Non-traditional caucasian 24 year old
Major undergrad: Business (From a top 15 business school)
Ohio Resident
BCPM GPA: 3.79
Cum GPA: 3.54
Pre-med Postbac GPA: 3.99

-Division I College football player
-Clinical Research for the past year 30 hours/week.
-Shadowing hours: 25 hours overall
-A school year of Honors Lab Research
-2 Internships with Fortune 500 companies (mostly finance)
-Great LOR (4 of the 5 I have seen)
-Volunteer work one day a week my freshmen year of college (2006)
-Started an entrepreneurial business

What are my chances of gaining acceptance to an MD school

Any feedback is GREATLY appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Your cumulative, bcpm, and post-bacc gpas are stellar! And your extracurricular activities sound great. Have you ever volunteered in a hospital or clinical setting? If not, then maybe you should start doing some of that. May I ask what that score of 7 was in? That's a little low for MD schools. Are you thinking about retaking the MCAT? Other than those two things, I think you have a good chance of gaining acceptance at several MD schools. What are your thoughts on applying to DO schools?

Ohio Resident

I think it's too much of an assumption to say that "you're in," but as long as you apply fairly broadly, I would imagine some school would like your unique attributes and consider you as a candidate for admission.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although you are a non-URM, your business background and Division I sports sets you in a unique minority group. I think you should get in somewhere.

Ohio Residents have some great schools to choose from and I think you are in one of the best states for the position you are in.

Btw, Great use of the poll question!

Your cumulative, bcpm, and post-bacc gpas are stellar! And your extracurricular activities sound great. Have you ever volunteered in a hospital or clinical setting? If not, then maybe you should start doing some of that. May I ask what that score of 7 was in? That's a little low for MD schools. Are you thinking about retaking the MCAT? Other than those two things, I think you have a good chance of gaining acceptance at several MD schools. What are your thoughts on applying to DO schools?

luvofgod, thanks for the response. I have not volunteered in a hospital, however, I work in the ER doing research for a doctor approx. 30 hours a week. I have thought about volunteering there, but once I am done with work, I just want to get the heck out of there.

As far as the MCAT goes my breakdown is PS: 12 VR: 7 BS: 10. I understand the 7 is low but the next time I can take the exam is July 28th and I am nervous having schools wait until then may put me at an even larger disadvantage.

I am going to apply to a few DO schools, but my first choice would be to go MD.

If you can't retake until July 28th, I would stay with your score. Even if hypothetically you got a 31 on on the July 28th MCAT, schools wouldn't get that score until the end of August/Early September. A 29 that applied early/now would beat a 31 that applied in September in my opinion.

When you say MD are you including Carribean schools?

Last edited:
I am not considering Carribean schools for a number of reasons. I am applying DO as well, but mostly as a backup.

An application submitted now with an MCAT of 29 beats a 30 or 31 that is submitted in August/September. Is there truth to this?

I am sure that 75% of people on here would agree with me that it is more important for you to apply early with a 29 than try and get a 30 or 31 on the July 28 test. Applying early is KEY!

I am in the same boat with a 29 and all the test dates are booked near me until JUly 28th as well. This sucks!! I can't figure out whether to take it or not even if just to have a better score if I need to apply again next cycle

Your GPA helps compensate for your MCAT score (which is still decent). I would definitely apply to MD schools now and not retake the MCAT.

Be warned though that you will need to explain that 7 VR score.

Just out of curiosity, how would you go about explaining a 7 on the VR section of the MCAT? Say you averaged higher on practice tests? Say you read a lot? Make an excuse like your computer glitched? I feel like it would be extremely difficult to explain a weak sectional score or score overall to an admissions committee without sounding like you are making a lame excuse.

Thanks so much for everyone's responses. This forum has been a great help!

Just out of curiosity, how would you go about explaining a 7 on the VR section of the MCAT? Say you averaged higher on practice tests? Say you read a lot? Make an excuse like your computer glitched? I feel like it would be extremely difficult to explain a weak sectional score or score overall to an admissions committee without sounding like you are making a lame excuse.

Thanks so much for everyone's responses. This forum has been a great help!

Yeah I remember trying to explain my less-than-stellar MCAT during interviews and it always sounded ike an excuse. But then I tried to explain how I've learned from the mistake and blah blah blah. :laugh:

Also what state of residency are you? That can definitely have an impact on your chances.

Yeah I remember trying to explain my less-than-stellar MCAT during interviews and it always sounded ike an excuse. But then I tried to explain how I've learned from the mistake and blah blah blah. :laugh:

Also what state of residency are you? That can definitely have an impact on your chances.

Talking about how you learned from it is defnitely a great approach. Thanks! I am an Ohio resident. Thanks for your advice Tapepsi

I don't know how you can explain that you learned from a bad MCAT score other than retaking. I would honestly take the approach that you were averaging 10's and 11's on VR during practice and that the AAMC was a fluke but you didn't want to apply late so you kept with your current score.

If you are confident that you can improve your mcat score next time, why not retake? you score is below national median, and 7 on verbal is kinda low, considering your non-URM.

Apply early, and retake and submit your new score later.

if your score improves, especially the verbal, it will greatly help your chance.

I'm in a similar boat and don't want to hijack the thread, but I think my question is relevant... I have read that retaking the MCAT will put an application on hold until the score is released, essentially nullifying applying early. Is there any truth to that?

I'm in a similar boat and don't want to hijack the thread, but I think my question is relevant... I have read that retaking the MCAT will put an application on hold until the score is released, essentially nullifying applying early. Is there any truth to that?

Zakley, your question is quite legitimate. You have two options:

1. Submit your AMCAS app with your current scores and mark on the application (there is a box you can check) that you will be retaking the MCAT at a later date. In this instance, AMCAS will wait to submit your application until they receive your MCAT scores (~30 days from your test date). In this instance, you are correct in that they will hold your application until the score is released.

2. Submit your AMCAS app with your current scores and DO NOT mark on the application that you will be retaking the MCAT at a later date. If this is the case, your application gets sent to your respective schools with your old test results and you are responsible for contacting the schools and letting them know your intentions of retaking if you choose to do so. At the time of you notifying them that you will be retaking they will place your application aside until they receive your new MCAT scores. So again, you are correct in that they will hold your score until it is released from AMCAS. In this case, the schools will be holding your app instead of AMCAS.

Is there a benefit to approaching one late MCAT retake option over the other? Some people choose to do the second option because they believe that schools will review most of the application and just wait to review the MCAT once it comes in. Bottom line is, schools will not complete your application until they receive your MCAT score and if you end up waiting to take your MCAT into late July, you definitely at a disadvantage because your application is not being fully reviewed until September.

My one word of advice: Apply early!

Zakley, your question is quite legitimate. You have two options:

1. Submit your AMCAS app with your current scores and mark on the application (there is a box you can check) that you will be retaking the MCAT at a later date. In this instance, AMCAS will wait to submit your application until they receive your MCAT scores (~30 days from your test date). In this instance, you are correct in that they will hold your application until the score is released.

2. Submit your AMCAS app with your current scores and DO NOT mark on the application that you will be retaking the MCAT at a later date. If this is the case, your application gets sent to your respective schools with your old test results and you are responsible for contacting the schools and letting them know your intentions of retaking if you choose to do so. At the time of you notifying them that you will be retaking they will place your application aside until they receive your new MCAT scores. So again, you are correct in that they will hold your score until it is released from AMCAS. In this case, the schools will be holding your app instead of AMCAS.

Is there a benefit to approaching one late MCAT retake option over the other? Some people choose to do the second option because they believe that schools will review most of the application and just wait to review the MCAT once it comes in. Bottom line is, schools will not complete your application until they receive your MCAT score and if you end up waiting to take your MCAT into late July, you definitely at a disadvantage because your application is not being fully reviewed until September.

My one word of advice: Apply early!

Does anyone know if admission committees still process apps and grant interviews as they are waiting for your retake MCAT scores?

As well, has anyone done the second option above?

Thanks again

I am applying DO as backup. MD is very appealing to me because of the strong research focus and more opportunities in academia.

Does anyone know if admission committees still process apps and grant interviews as they are waiting for retake MCAT scores?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if admission committees still process apps and grant interviews as they are waiting for retake MCAT scores?

I don't think that they touch your application until they have everything.