Chances of getting into an MSW program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cmpsych11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm a brand new member to this site but I've spent a considerable amount of time checking out threads about MSW programs and clinical psych programs. I'm not totally sure how to work this, but here goes..

I'm applying to MSW programs for Fall 2011 after deciding that applying to clinical psych PhD programs is not for me. I'm a psychology major with an overall gpa of 3.67 and a 3.94 psychology GPA, with a minor in women, gender, and sexuality studies. I have two solid years of research experience in biofeedback, an NIMH-funded study research alcohol use in college students, I've written an honors thesis, and I'm working on an independent study that is looking to evaluate a peer tutoring program in research methods that my school's psychology department offers. I've been a tutor for the past three semesters.

I've also completed two summers (about 200+ hours) at a hospital counseling center in my area. My supervisor is a PsyD and most of the other clinicians were LCSW's. I was able to work with women who have been victims of domestic violence (mostly diagnosed with PTSD, MDD, etc.), and substance abuse groups (intensive out-patient and recovery)

I know that's a lot, but I really would appreciate some feedback on my chances of acceptance. I'm looking at the following schools..
NYU
Columbia
Boston College
Boston University
Southern Connecticut State University
Springfield College
Fordham University
and possibly Rutgers

I hope to hear from anyone who can help!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a good chance at any of those. But are you really sure you want to do MSW? I'm not knocking it... I do know that when I was in college and broached the subject with my (clinical psychology PhD) professor she had nothing good to say - basically she thought MSW programs were stupid and good psychology students shouldn't even consider such programs. Your background does seem to point towards PhD programs. I just wonder if you might regret it and wish you'd gone into a more "serious" program.

In my looking at MSW programs, a compelling reason for wanting to go into social work seemed most important, although I know several people who slid in with no volunteer experience, and totally unrelated work backgrounds (like teaching, but teaching at really tony private schools, etc.) and totally unrelated academic backgrounds (English lit in two instances.)

Social work can be very important work but sometimes I wonder if serious psych students who somewhat arbitrarily choose it over PhD programs know what they're getting themselves into.

thanks for your feedback - I have been seriously considering clinicial psychology phd programs for the past 2 years, but my GRE scores are horrendous and equally as embarrassing (500Q/420V), so I know my chances of getting through even the first screening by an admissions committee is very slim.
I was told by a clinical psych phd professor at my school that I should consider an MSW with a clinical focus versus seeking an experimental/research masters program as a stepping stone to a phd program in case my likelihood of ever getting into a phd program never improves. She said that at least after 2 years of school and receiving an MSW I would be able to have a career, and alternately give me the chance to re-apply to phd programs. Even if I didn't get in, I would at least be able to start making a salary, although not as high as if I became a clinical psychologist. I thought that was a pretty legitimate? I'm planning on meeting with the head of the social work dept. at my school as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have you thought of PsyD programs, which generally have less stringent admissions requirements than PhD programs? I'm not sure what I think of MSW programs as stepping stones to PhDs. I agree that at least after 2 years you'll have a career (although you might be making in the $20s or $30s.) But in most cases you'll be heavily in debt for those two years (whereas you get more funding for most PhD programs, not so much with PsyD programs.) I'm also not sure that an MSW program would be looked upon as a good stepping stone to a PhD, as far as the admissions process is concerned. But, if you think that you'd be happy with it if it doesn't lead to a PhD, then it's probably a decent idea.

How much test prep have you done for the GRE?

Have you considered just taking a few years to work? Is there a need to launch directly into grad school? When I started working after graduating from college in 1999, I was in a pretty low-paid support staff position at a university, and I still actually made the same amount as a new MSW grad I know who started working in social work in 2007 (with 6 years of unrelated work experience.)

I gotta chime in even though this isn't my area. I would strongly suggest going for the PhD or PsyD. If it's really the GRE holding you back start working like a year off or something and focus on studying for it. MSW degree isn't gonna net you much more money than finding a job with a bachelors and the debt from the MSW wont be worth the little bit more money in salary than the job you could get now. If you really think you may want to ever go for the phd or PsyD don't do the MSW. An MSW isn't a stepping stone you want to take.

Any of those MSW programs will take probably take you. Social Work is not a terribly competitive academic field. However, if you are willing to pay for an MSW at NYU or Columbia, that suggests that you are willing to throw money down the drain that you will never ever make back. This in mind, you can just as well find a PsyD program at a lower tier school that would accept you with your stats; despite the GRE scores.
If you want to be a psychologist, please don't become a social worker. We aren't the same. It's a great job to have if you want to do it. I love being a social worker, but social work is not psychology for people who couldn't get into PhD programs.