General Admissions & OTCAS Chances of getting into an OT program/ application advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureOT94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am a junior undergraduate student majoring in Exercise Physiology with two minors in Nutrition and Disability Studies. I am starting this thread because I wanted some input on my chances of getting into an Occupational Therapy program. Here are my stats:

GPA: 3.224 (but I have two more full semesters before applying to improve it)
Job: I have worked as a physical therapy aide in an outpatient clinic for a little over a year
Observation hours: I plan to have over 100 by the time I apply but currently only have a couple since for a long time, I had thought I would be applying to a DPT program instead of OT. I have observed in an outpatient setting, psychiatric hospital, and outpatient hospital.
LORs: My boss from my job will definitely write me a great LOR and I know I will be able to have an OT write me one that I observed. As for academic, I'm thinking of having my professor that I do literary research on Cerebral Palsy with write one.

I'm nervous because I know how competitive these programs are and I know my GPA isn't super competitive (as I got a rough start in college). Will they notice that as I went through school my grades got better? I am so passionate about helping those with disabilities and the holistic approach occupational therapy takes with that. I hope to score well on the GRE's and I am planning on volunteering for a week this summer at a camp for children with Muscular Dystrophy. Given that GRE's go well, I have great LORs, and my personal essay stands out... what are my chances of getting into a program? Any advice for applying? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to nine schools this round and was rejected from all of them. I have a high gpa, about 100 hours. I believe t was my lower gre score that went against me. I also was rushing through out the process. My advice is to really get hours, study for the gre, apply early, and put a lot of heart and work into the personal statement. Good luck!

I think you have a good chance : ) . It is competitive, but what you have so far is really great. Like OTgirl29 said, DEFINITELY apply early. Everyone has something about their application that they aren't super proud of ( for me it was my GRE score), but I think as long as you make it up with great references, a passionate personal statement, a good number of hours from a few different OT settings, and good grades in prereqs, you should have a good chance. My advice is to keep your options open and apply to as many schools as you can afford, and of course to ones that you could see yourself going to. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like you have a good chance! You still have time to bring your grades up, the last 60 credits and pre -req classes are often weighed more heavily than total GPA. I think the most important parts of your application are your essay and your LOR. You just need to be able to set yourself apart from other applicants and really show why you want to be an OT. A lot of people say get as many hours as you can, but after talking to admissions at a couple different schools as long as you meet their requirements for # hours and different settings that is fine. I had the bare minimum for every school I applied to and had no problems getting in. Also biggest tip is that since the majority of schools are rolling get your application in as soon as possible. Some open up as early as July, I would aim for September at the latest.

Hi guys!
I'm just looking for a glimmer of hope here because I've invested so much time and started to believe I could get into a program. Can someone tell me and be absolutely realistic and honest with me PLEASE! Here are my stats:
Major: kinesiology
Emphasis: health promotion
CGPA: 3.63
PGPA: 3.63 as well
Last 60 credits: 4.0
Sorority: Sigma Kappa
Honor Society: Golden Key Honors Society
Volunteer hours:
Hand therapy: 31 hrs
Out-patient rehab: 31 hrs
Out-patient Pediatric OT: 42 hrs (in clinic)
Out-patient pediatric OT: 85 hours (all hippotherapy, which is basically OT while on a horse)
Out-patient pediatric OT: 200 hrs (in clinic and in-home early intervention)

Work:
Build A Bear Workshop 2013-2016
Administrative Assistant in an OT clinic: May 2016 to present
The place where I did my 200 hours hired me

My First Aid/CPR/AED verification just expired. :(

I do enjoy looking up OT stuff (for kids mainly) on social media and reading about sensory integration, proprioceptive and vestibular systems, tactile defensiveness, etc. and how it relates to learning and classroom challenges, it's really fascinating! I also have started reading OT textbooks haha. Just so I'm decently immersed in the field as much as possible.

I don't have much leadership experience aside from my sorority involvement.

I don't have much experience working with special needs kids aside from my volunteering but I did just get hired as an ABA therapist.

Any advice on what I should do or my chances would be greatly appreciated!!

Best of luck to you all, it's just getting harder every year!