Chances of getting into ANY med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PurkinjeFLboy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a graduating senior from Duke and just want other people's perspective if I can get into a med school this cycle or should I consider post bacc.

Stats:
-Major: Psychology with concentration in Neuroscience (BS)
-Minors: African and African American Studies and Biology
-cGPA: 3.2 (hoping after this semester it will be around 3.25 - 3.3)
-GPA since end of sophomore year: 3.5 - 3.6
-sGPA: ~3.0 (B's or 3.0 in physics, orgo, and bio, with a C- in 2nd semester gen chem at Duke but A in 1st at FAU...but A's in rest of my science classes which were mostly in Neuroscience)
-Over two years of research working in neurobiology, clinical psychology, and cognitive neuroscience
-Shadowing experience in Duke Hospital and Miami Jackson for about 5 months in total
-Work-study since Freshman year and have worked at 7 jobs; currently working as an RA in lab and in library
-Plan to take MCAT in August
-Also plan to take Biochemistry at Florida Atlantic and looking for RA positions at FAU, Scripps Institute, and Max Planck Institute
-Couldn't do much volunteer since I was usually working two jobs (currently using FAP for MCAT) but plan to volunteer during year off at local hospital setting up a tutoring program and educational classes for kids

Sorry for being long but just wanted to give out the full details. And please be honest. I've heard so many different perspectives that I honestly have no idea what to do. I don't really want to go to grad school or become a nurse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and have a blessed day.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm a graduating senior from Duke and just want other people's perspective if I can get into a med school this cycle or should I consider post bacc.

Stats:
-Major: Psychology with concentration in Neuroscience (BS)
-Minors: African and African American Studies and Biology
-cGPA: 3.2 (hoping after this semester it will be around 3.25 - 3.3)
-GPA since end of sophomore year: 3.5 - 3.6
-sGPA: ~3.0 (B's or 3.0 in physics, orgo, and bio, with a C- in 2nd semester gen chem at Duke but A in 1st at FAU...but A's in rest of my science classes which were mostly in Neuroscience)
-Over two years of research working in neurobiology, clinical psychology, and cognitive neuroscience
-Shadowing experience in Duke Hospital and Miami Jackson for about 5 months in total
-Work-study since Freshman year and have worked at 7 jobs; currently working as an RA in lab and in library
-Plan to take MCAT in August
-Also plan to take Biochemistry at Florida Atlantic and looking for RA positions at FAU, Scripps Institute, and Max Planck Institute
-Couldn't do much volunteer since I was usually working two jobs (currently using FAP for MCAT) but plan to volunteer during year off at local hospital setting up a tutoring program and educational classes for kids

Sorry for being long but just wanted to give out the full details. And please be honest. I've heard so many different perspectives that I honestly have no idea what to do. I don't really want to go to grad school or become a nurse. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and have a blessed day.

check out law school

I think you have a shot at med school eventually, just not this cycle. The item that is going to be your demise is the August MCAT. This means that schools won't get your score until mid-september, which is pretty late (especially for someone with a 3.2-3.3). I suggest waiting until next year to apply.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks @aSagacious. I really tried to do the MCAT in May but with my schedule right now, it was just impossible to do the best I can and I know with where I am, I need a stellar MCAT score. Thank you for the advice.

And @mikesheree...thank you for your VERY helpful advice.

Since your ECs aren't ready for applying yet, and your BCPM needs work, an extra year of buffing up the application and even more time for MCAT study is a good idea. If you could get into a formal postbac program, that would be good, but the informal way could work well too if you take enough classes.

Thanks @aSagacious. I really tried to do the MCAT in May but with my schedule right now, it was just impossible to do the best I can and I know with where I am, I need a stellar MCAT score. Thank you for the advice.

And @mikesheree...thank you for your VERY helpful advice.

when i said"check out law school", that was not a dig. based on your p.m. you have a real chip. i tried hard, and succeeded , in talking my son out of med school and he is now an attorney( very happily employed as oposed to many who are are not), working in the D.C.area. He is in a MUCH better position

your numbers just don't look like you are competitive----Duke, Harvard, whatever--. It is not a dig, just a fact check. However, you have the makings of an excellent diagnostician---you are 100% correct---I will die.

when i said"check out law school", that was not a dig. based on your p.m. you have a real chip. i tried hard, and succeeded , in talking my son out of med school and he is now an attorney( very happily employed as oposed to many who are are not), working in the D.C.area. He is in a MUCH better position

...and now you spend your days preying on the weak, converting them to the dark side :rolleyes: