\

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaskan _Polarbear

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Date of submission: 2020 Cycle
Overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.3
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.2
DAT score (include AA and all sections): TS: 19
BIO(19) GEN(18) ORGO(20) TA: 19 Math(18) Reading(22) Perception (19)
State of Residence: New York

Major: Psychology BA
Minor: Biology and Chemistry
Minority: Asian-American with low-income family
First time applicant and will be applying 2020 cycle

Shadowing Experience:
General (40) Oral Surgery (100) Pediatric (320)
Volunteering Experience: Prospect Park Zoo (113) & Borough Wide Band (130)
Employment: Graduate School (342)
Research: Psychology (Schizophrenia) (80)
Other Extracurricular: College Wind Ensemble (144) College Power lifting Club (60) Jiu Jitsu Club (60) Pre-dental Society (60)
Relevant Honors or Awards: USA Power-lifting Third place for 43kg class
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere: 4 years of training in muay thai (martial arts), I have been playing the flute since the 2nd grade, I also lift weights 4-6 times a week depending on my schedule. My first year of college was spent at a community college on a scholarship that after one year at a community college I would have an automatic acceptance into Binghamton University.
School list: Mostly east coast schools (NY, NJ, NC, ME, MA)

Hi everyone! This is my first time posting and I just wanted a second opinion on what my chances are. My current pre-health adviser says I have a chance but I'm a little skeptical because of my low grades and average DAT scores. I am currently a junior at a SUNY and I am hoping to apply for the 2020 cycle. I am currently debating to retake the DAT but I am skeptical about it because I won't have time to study over the summer (due to summer courses, work, and shadowing) or during the semester (I take 17 credits every semester along with work and research). I also don't know if I should retake any of my science courses (recieved B-/B in most of my science courses).

Sorry for such a lengthy post but feel free to leave any types of criticism.

Your extracurriculars look pretty solid. Your overall GPA is around the average for matriculation. Since you have about a year and a half between now and your application date, try to do your best in the rest of your classes (raising that GPA can only help). Your DAT isn't bad, but I would suggest retaking it and aiming for at least a 21 AA to increase your chances. Also, depending on when you took it, keep in mind that it expires after 3 years. Apply early, get solid letters of rec, and if you can raise that DAT score to 21+, you'll be golden.

Best of luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
I would add plenty of private schools since your stats are just around average and also try to raise your sGPA if you could. I don't think you'd need to retake the dat unless you're sure you could do better and have the time and money. Otherwise your ECs look solid.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Your extracurriculars look pretty solid. Your overall GPA is around the average for matriculation. Since you have about a year and a half between now and your application date, try to do your best in the rest of your classes (raising that GPA can only help). Your DAT isn't bad, but I would suggest retaking it and aiming for at least a 21 AA to increase your chances. Also, depending on when you took it, keep in mind that it expires after 3 years. Apply early, get solid letters of rec, and if you can raise that DAT score to 21+, you'll be golden.

Best of luck to you!

Thank you for your answer! I am debating retaking the DAT because I don't think I have the time to balance 12 credits in the summer, work, and volunteer, and in addition studying for the DAT. But it's something that I am definitely considering if I can't raise my GPA before I apply

I'm pretty sure you can raise your GPA quite a bit in the year and a half before you apply, but I think it would be better to study hard and break a 21+ on your DAT (or why not do both?)

I wouldn't retake any courses you got Bs/B-s in, instead focus on taking upper division courses and doing well in them to show you can handle harder classes. Unfortunately, being Asian does not make you a minority. Also, kudos on the two minors (I think?)-- I did that too! It looks really good on your app but a high GPA/DAT helps more.

Soooo, I would retake your DAT, take upper division classes and get As to raise your GPA, and also up your GP shadowing hours. You got plenty of time, good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.