chances of getting into dental school with a 3.4

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenarrow92

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.4 cumulative gpa and a 3.4 science gpa. I still have to take the DAT. I was wondering if someone could tell me if I have a chance at getting into any dental schools. Also would applying to dental school in July still be considered early?

THANK YOU

Members don't see this ad.

You're fine. Just do solidly on the DAT and don't suck everywhere else on your application. Following directions however, is pretty paramount in dental school and dentistry. That being said, wrong forum.

Reactions: 2 users
absolutely!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have a 3.4 cumulative gpa and a 3.4 science gpa. I still have to take the DAT. I was wondering if someone could tell me if I have a chance at getting into any dental schools. Also would applying to dental school in July still be considered early?

THANK YOU

Avg GPA at many schools is equal to or below a 3.4. What does that tell you? Just do well on the DAT.

I did it with a 3.01.

But then again, I have super powers.

Reactions: 6 users
There are so many dental schools, worst come worst, go to one of the new dental school mills and pay up the ass.

#bendover

You can always claim minority status to your admission advantage, if you're 1/60 American Indian or something else. There's a US Senator from MA who made the same bogus claim but, hey, it worked to get her into Harvard.

just get a high remark on dat! so the school would prioritize you more than others. having a 3.4 isn't that bad actualy

Like everyone has said, Good DAT and you'll be in good shape.

I had a lot of professional experience and volunteer commitments, which really helped me get interviews. Make sure that doesn't lag behind.....those are the things that will set you apart from people with similar paper scores.

there used to be a sticky here when i was coming through that listed all of the dental schools, their avg cum gpa, sci gpa, dat etc. Download the excel file if its still here and all of your burning questions will be answered.

My humble advice is to research the process MUCH more than you have already to maximize your chances at a first year admission. If youre already thinking of taking the DAT soon this is very basic stuff you need to know.

Another vote on doing well on your DAT. Assuming your application will be well prepared, you shouldn't have any problem. I had 3.39oGPA, 3.41sGPA with 21AA and I got to choose from 7 acceptances. I highly recommend you to apply broadly. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, yes, you'll be fine. Not giving my GPA, lol, but it was not high at all. I scored very high on the DAT and went on to dental school. Did a residency and have done very well in my career. At this time I'm practicing at a major hospital in NY and teaching residents. Who'd have thunk it?? I'm tired, but I made it (smile).

Eh There are no ''mills''. I know a buddy of mine who got into the state U with a 3.2 and 21 DAT. I think op will be okay if the rest of his app is solid and he or she interviews well.

There are so many dental schools, worst come worst, go to one of the new dental school mills and pay up the ass.

#bendover

eh there are no ''mills''. I know a buddy of mine who got into the state u with a 3.2 and 21 dat. I think op will be okay if the rest of his app is solid and he or she interviews well.

+2.

Just curious, I know it won't change anything, but I was wondering if anyone else was in my boat.. I have a 2.9 science and 3.1 overall GPA, but I just took my DAT and did well (19's and up).. I am graduating in december with a bs-bio and minor in accounting. I am well rounded with extracurriculars, and volunteering, and shadowing...but I'm nervous about even having a chance to get an interview.. any thoughts/opinons/advice?

Thank you!

Just curious, I know it won't change anything, but I was wondering if anyone else was in my boat.. I have a 2.9 science and 3.1 overall GPA, but I just took my DAT and did well (19's and up).. I am graduating in december with a bs-bio and minor in accounting. I am well rounded with extracurriculars, and volunteering, and shadowing...but I'm nervous about even having a chance to get an interview.. any thoughts/opinons/advice?

Thank you!

Did you already apply this year or applying next year?

Apply early and to lots of schools. It's gonna cost $$$ so save up, you don't really have the luxury of applying to just a couple schools. Look into options of post bac in case you don't hear from schools and contact the schools that you thing you have the best shot and ask them if they think you need post bac. Have you completed all the recommended classes at the schools that you think you're likely to get accepted into? It might not be a bad idea to take 1 addition semester if you're applying next year with classes. Just make yourself a custom fit for the schools that you think are more likely to accept you and always know what plan B is

Last edited:

Thank you!

Can you handle an honest unblemished opinion if I give it to you? Nevermind :( Sorry.

Thank you!

Did you already apply this year or applying next year?

Apply early and to lots of schools. It's gonna cost $$$ so save up, you don't really have the luxury of applying to just a couple schools. Look into options of post bac in case you don't hear from schools and contact the schools that you thing you have the best shot and ask them if they think you need post bac. Have you completed all the recommended classes at the schools that you think you're likely to get accepted into? It might not be a bad idea to take 1 addition semester if you're applying next year with classes. Just make yourself a custom fit for the schools that you think are more likely to accept you and always know what plan B is

slm226 hit it spot on. Do your research and find out what schools fit your stats. 3.4 GPA / 19 DAT was the average stat of the accepted student last I checked. Given that, your DAT would be fine if you had the 3.4 GPA but with a 2.9s/3.1c, you probably can't get by with just a 19. It's possible you may but if I were in your shoes I would study up hard again and try to get a 20+ score. That might actually open some doors for you.

It's too late this cycle to apply with those stats and expect anything. Focus on bettering your application and then be ready to submit to ~20 schools (large private schools are your main chance) at the beginning of July. I would stay in school and take a semester of science classes that you know you can rock A's in. All of them.

If you had a solid 16-18 hours of pure science (no fluff classes, they will see through it) while scoring a 4.0 coupled with a 20+ DAT (amongst your application standing out in the other areas as well) while applying to ~20 schools, I would say you have a shot of getting in somewhere. It's certainly not a guarantee but that is your best bet at this point in the game.

If you don't manage to score any interviews, you are going to need to complete a post-bacc or master's program while keeping your GPA above 3.5. That's the worst case scenario. If you want to be in dental school, you will eventually get there.

Best of luck to you. :thumbup:

just blow the DAT out of the park. D-schools don't care too much about GPA. They care about DAT.

I had a poor GPA and a high DAT and was accepted to most schools I applied to (all schools I interviewed at). Granted, I had a distinct upward trend (3.9ish for 48 credits) but my oGPA was still lower than the GPA you are inquiring about.

Oh, yes, you'll be fine. Not giving my GPA, lol, but it was not high at all. I scored very high on the DAT and went on to dental school. Did a residency and have done very well in my career. At this time I'm practicing at a major hospital in NY and teaching residents. Who'd have thunk it?? I'm tired, but I made it (smile).

You're awesome I'd love to talk please Pm me.

THANK YOU
Hello, I was wondering did you happen to get in? How did you do on the DAT? What was your college major?

I am in my second semester of junior year and trying to graduate a semester early because I will finish all the requirements to graduate. I am in a university where most of the upper level biology classes are very hard. I am trying my best but they are not all A's :( My stats and experiences:
GPA: 3.3
Haven't taken the DAT yet. Trying to take it around may-june
PR chair for the dental club at my school
+120 shadowing hours including general and ortho
+100 volunteer hours

What are my chances? How many schools should I apply to? Can you guys please give me you thoughts! HELP Me!

I am in my second semester of junior year and trying to graduate a semester early because I will finish all the requirements to graduate. I am in a university where most of the upper level biology classes are very hard. I am trying my best but they are not all A's :( My stats and experiences:
GPA: 3.3
Haven't taken the DAT yet. Trying to take it around may-june
PR chair for the dental club at my school
+120 shadowing hours including general and ortho
+100 volunteer hours

What are my chances? How many schools should I apply to? Can you guys please give me you thoughts! HELP Me!

Just make sure you do really well on the DAT. Start studying now if you can. If you can get killer scores on the DAT, dental schools are pretty much forced to look at your application. It shows that you're smart and can do well on big tests, which is important to them.

Also, apply to lots of schools. Like 15-ish? Or more even? I don't know how many is too many before it starts to look bad (you should research that), but I applied to 15.

Make sure you get some solid letters of recommendation.

And don't underestimate the effectiveness of a well-worded, interesting personal statement. Have people you trust (including people who know what kinds of things that should be on it) read over it and give honest suggestions. I spent a long time perfecting my personal statement, and all of my interviews mentioned how they liked different aspects of it. It's your only chance to really speak in your entire application. Don't put it off till the last minute!

Also, don't just listen to one person's advice (like mine, for example). Get lots of input into how to get into dental school.

Good luck! You can do this!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Just make sure you do really well on the DAT. Start studying now if you can. If you can get killer scores on the DAT, dental schools are pretty much forced to look at your application. It shows that you're smart and can do well on big tests, which is important to them.

Also, apply to lots of schools. Like 15-ish? Or more even? I don't know how many is too many before it starts to look bad (you should research that), but I applied to 15.

Make sure you get some solid letters of recommendation.

And don't underestimate the effectiveness of a well-worded, interesting personal statement. Have people you trust (including people who know what kinds of things that should be on it) read over it and give honest suggestions. I spent a long time perfecting my personal statement, and all of my interviews mentioned how they liked different aspects of it. It's your only chance to really speak in your entire application. Don't put it off till the last minute!

Also, don't just listen to one person's advice (like mine, for example). Get lots of input into how to get into dental school.

Good luck! You can do this!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Thank you so much!

Hey I've been really interested in dentistry for a long time. However my GPA isn't good. It's at 3.37 rn and I'm finishing off my last semester. I did a two year restorative dentistry program to be a dental tech and worked in the field a little to gain some insight and hands on experience. I just wanted to know if that can help my chances of getting in? Also I haven't taken the DAT and I know I def have to score high on it to make up for my GPA. I still have to take Biochem as well as thats become a requirement for most schools now. So, If anyone can be honest with me and tell me if I have a chance at getting in? thank you in advance.

Hey I've been really interested in dentistry for a long time. However my GPA isn't good. It's at 3.37 rn and I'm finishing off my last semester. I did a two year restorative dentistry program to be a dental tech and worked in the field a little to gain some insight and hands on experience. I just wanted to know if that can help my chances of getting in? Also I haven't taken the DAT and I know I def have to score high on it to make up for my GPA. I still have to take Biochem as well as thats become a requirement for most schools now. So, If anyone can be honest with me and tell me if I have a chance at getting in? thank you in advance.

DAT is critical to your chances. No DAT = it's impossible to chance you with any certainty.

Moving to pre dental

Most people looking at this thread might accidentally reply to the OP instead of to @Dentalgains81 , and the OP hasn't been active in two years.

Last edited:
You've got a chance! I finished with a ~3.4 and got in :)

Many of the private schools were created specifically for people just like you. They'll take your money.

GPA varies from school to school, the DAT is the standardized portion of the application.

Unfortunately I don't come from a rich family, so I know I need to take a loan out anyways. I was really hoping to avoid private because of the money, but if it's my last resort than that's what I'll do. Thank you again!
Many of the private schools were created specifically for people just like you. They'll take your money.

You've got a chance! I finished with a ~3.4 and got in :)
Bdkmql4CMAImogk.jpg

Reactions: 2 users