chances of getting into dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ravi@hunter

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm a student at Hunter College and applying to dental school in 2014-2015 cycle.
My Overall GPA: 3.38
My Science GPA: 3.25
DAT SCORE 22/22/22

Want to get into NYU or anywhere else in New York. What are my chances? and advice on which other schools to apply to would be helpful?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I'm a student at Hunter College and applying to dental school in 2014-2015 cycle.
My Overall GPA: 3.38
My Science GPA: 3.25
DAT SCORE 22/22/22

Want to get into NYU or anywhere else in New York. What are my chances? and advice on which other schools to apply to would be helpful?

GPA is on the lower side, DAT is on the upper side. Assuming you have decent shadowing, service, lors, etc, you probably have a good shot at getting a handful of interviews, as long as you apply to a decent number of schools. Why do you specifically mention NYU? Buffalo and SB are just as good and wayyyy cheaper, especially if you're instate (don't apply to SB if you're OOS). It's up to you to decide what other schools you want to apply to, but unless you are wealthy / have wealthy parents, I would weigh cost as the heaviest factor. Look up the list of schools that let you switch to instate tuition, and see if you think you have a shot at them. For example, your stats might be too low for UNC (OOS), but not some friendlier schools like ohio. Read about each school in the ADEA school guide, and use it to help you decide on where to apply.

Also, don't only apply to NY schools. There are plenty of cocky/misinformed people with good stats who apply to only Texas, NY, CA schools, and end up as reapplicants. I would suggest applying to around 8 schools with your stats, however it never hurts to apply to more, assuming you can afford to.

You should be fine. GPA is a bit low but your DAT scores should compensate for that.

Members don't see this ad :)
How important are letter of recommendations? In my school, there are 500+ students in each science class and it is very difficult to get a letter of recommendation. I have 1 LOR from chemistry professor, 1 LOR from dentist and 1 from a physics professor. But I don't think they will be so detailed since the professors don't really know every person.
Also, I don't have any community service. Is that vital?

How important are letter of recommendations? In my school, there are 500+ students in each science class and it is very difficult to get a letter of recommendation. I have 1 LOR from chemistry professor, 1 LOR from dentist and 1 from a physics professor. But I don't think they will be so detailed since the professors don't really know every person.

You should definitely do community service.
I had a 3.45 Overall/3.24 Science GPA from my state university. 20 AA/20 TS score with 3 letters of rec: microbio prof/chemistry prof/dentist I shadowed.
I had 5 interviews; 3 waitlists; 1 acceptance.
You should be fine.
Also worth nothing, I applied to 17 schools across the nation. 3/5 interviews were in-state.

Last edited:

Letters are fine, that is common for many applicants at larger schools. Yes, you should do some community service/volunteering as many schools are heavily involved in the community and you may be asked on a secondary application or at an interview what have you done/learned/contribute to our school.