Chances of getting into Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

XtrasDental

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am a Senior in college majoring in Biomedical Engineering. I have a difficult senior year approaching with many core engineering classes. I took the DAT in 2015 Summer and got a 25 TS and 24 AA. I currently have a 3.38 cumulative GPA and science GPA around 3.45. I know if I get As this year I can bring up my overall GPA to 3.48 before I apply in June 2016. I just wanted opinions on how my application would look towards Dental schools such as Columbia and Rutgers School of Dental Medicine. Would they take into account my difficult engineering major when ranking my GPA?

Any opinions are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Great DAT,decent GPA, your GPA might be overlooked by your challenging major as well as your great DAT score. Good chance. Although apply next year, its a very late to apply now to have an ADVANTAGE

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

I am a Senior in college majoring in Biomedical Engineering. I have a difficult senior year approaching with many core engineering classes. I took the DAT in 2015 Summer and got a 25 TS and 24 AA. I currently have a 3.38 cumulative GPA and science GPA around 3.45. I know if I get As this year I can bring up my overall GPA to 3.48 before I apply in June 2016. I just wanted opinions on how my application would look towards Dental schools such as Columbia and Rutgers School of Dental Medicine. Would they take into account my difficult engineering major when ranking my GPA?

Any opinions are appreciated.
Assuming all other parts of your application are average or above average, you have a high chance at Columbia. If you're a NJ resident, you have a high chance at Rutgers.

I had the same GPA/DAT going into senior year and also wanted to get straight A's senior year (which I did). I'm unsure about giving extra weight to a major like yours; I feel society perceives engineering as difficult. Regardless, apply after graduation and realize you'll have a gap year. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Columbia likes high DAT scores, but they really take the whole application into consideration. If you can bump up that gpa a bit and are cool enough, you have a good shot

Thanks guys, i really appreciate it. I just had another question. Since I'm a biomedical engineering student, there's alot of core science courses such as system physiology etc that I have took. Would classes like these count as science classes and be put into the overall Science GPA?

Thanks guys, i really appreciate it. I just had another question. Since I'm a biomedical engineering student, there's alot of core science courses such as system physiology etc that I have took. Would classes like these count as science classes and be put into the overall Science GPA?

Yes, they are science classes and would count towards your science GPA. In the Coursework section of the AADSAS app, you'll be able to classify that class as science or non-science.

Yes, they are science classes and would count towards your science GPA. In the Coursework section of the AADSAS app, you'll be able to classify that class as science or non-science.

Awesome! Thanks i appreciate it