Chances of getting into dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FLboy

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a 3.75 overall gpa, and 3.64 science. ~120 hours of shadowing, ~150 hours of volunteering, and ~700 hours of other extracurricular.. However, my DAT scores are a bit low, with a 19AA and 18 TS, with 17 bio/ 19 gen chem/ 18 ochem/ 20 QR/ 23 RC/ 17 PAT. I plan on submitting my application early June, as I have everything I need already. What are my chances at getting in? And what kind of schools should I be applying to?

Members don't see this ad.

I think your GPA is great, but your science DAT scores are a bit low... Why don't you call some schools and ask them directly if they think you'd be competitive?

I think your GPA is great, but your science DAT scores are a bit low... Why don't you call some schools and ask them directly if they think you'd be competitive?
Idk how honest schools will be here. I'm sure they will all give the generic "you have a chance" answer so that they can earn money off your application fee.

Members don't see this ad :)
Idk how honest schools will be here. I'm sure they will all give the generic "you have a chance" answer so that they can earn money off your application fee.
Hmm... :thinking: Very good point!

Retake DAT. Show passion in your personal statement and possibly work either in a dental lab or as a chairside dental assistant. I've got a borderline unacceptable GPA and interviewed in 4 schools and got accepted into 3 of them. Any regional school is fine e.g. if you're from the West Coast, apply to West Coast and Southwest schools. I'm from the OG West and all the East Coast schools that I've applied to (except for Touro) flat out rejected me.

Which schools did you apply to and which did you interview at? And your DAT score? I tried to PM you but couldn't!

I applied to 20 schools (can't remember them all, but I targeted schools with an average matriculation GPA of 3.3-3.6) and got invited to Touro, ASDOH, USC, UNLV and UMN. I got a 21 AA with my lowest subscore being Bio at 18 (20 TS, 24 PAT, 23 RC). Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user