Chances of getting into dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jt16

Reaction score
I go to Boston university, I have a 3.22 science gpa and a 3.48 cumulative gpa. I took the DAT once and got 19 AA. Going to retake it soon and hoping to score higher. Are my chances of getting into dental school terrible? I worked as a lab assistant for one year and was a research assistant volunteer for one semester and going to do shadowing hours next semester. I’m really hoping to get into tufts or BU for the 2021 cycle

Members don't see this ad.

I go to Boston university, I have a 3.22 science gpa and a 3.48 cumulative gpa. I took the DAT once and got 19 AA. Going to retake it soon and hoping to score higher. Are my chances of getting into dental school terrible? I worked as a lab assistant for one year and was a research assistant volunteer for one semester and going to do shadowing hours next semester. I’m really hoping to get into tufts or BU for the 2021 cycle

Hi Jt16! Your chances are not, as you have put it, terrible. However, your GPA and DAT score are on the lower spectrum for the top schools. My suggestion is to improve the DAT score by 2-3 points. That being said, many schools now put a lot more emphasis on the "whole package" and not just the numbers. What are your other extracurriculars, aside from 1.5 years of RA?

Reactions: 1 user
You should be able to squeeze into a private school with those stats. As laundry said, it boils down to your extracurricular - these make you stand out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Jt16! Your chances are not, as you have put it, terrible. However, your GPA and DAT score are on the lower spectrum for the top schools. My suggestion is to improve the DAT score by 2-3 points. That being said, many schools now put a lot more emphasis on the "whole package" and not just the numbers. What are your other extracurriculars, aside from 1.5 years of RA?
That’s all I have :/ I only have one semester left of undergrad

I was accepted to BU this cycle with similar stats to you. What was the breakdown of your DAT score? If nothing is below 17 I'd say you have a great shot at BU. Im an MA resident and did my undergrad in Boston and at my interview they told me that they like local applicants because they want their students to stay and practice in Boston. I really liked BU at my interview and am super grateful that I got accepted so if you have any other specific questions feel free to pm me and I'd be happy to help.