Chances of getting into dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sinamam

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I am just posting to see what I need to do to strengthen my Dental application for this May. I don’t have that many volunteer hours (about20-30) and i have only been able to shadow an oral surgeon for 55 hours. I also am on the table tennis team at my university and a TA. I have called more than 15 dentists this week and no one lets me shadow because of COVID related fears. I have a 3.8 GPA and got a 24 AA on DAT. Should I be worried? What can I improve on? Also any tips to get a dentist to allow me to shadow?

Members don't see this ad.

Just work on getting more volunteering and shadowing hours

Reactions: 1 users
“called” is the key word here. -> “walked into and introduced myself to”

Reactions: 1 user
Hi guys,
I am just posting to see what I need to do to strengthen my Dental application for this May. I don’t have that many volunteer hours (about20-30) and i have only been able to shadow an oral surgeon for 55 hours. I also am on the table tennis team at my university and a TA. I have called more than 15 dentists this week and no one lets me shadow because of COVID related fears. I have a 3.8 GPA and got a 24 AA on DAT. Should I be worried? What can I improve on? Also any tips to get a dentist to allow me to shadow?
I called many places until one place told me to come in and speak to the doctor (because she didn't understand what shadowing was). I went in and asked to speak to the dentist about shadowing. He came out after 10 minutes and was super chill about it. I think calling is not the best option here because the receptionists probably don't care and the doctor can easily pass on you and never give you a callback. Definitely go in with a resume and ask if you can shadow for a couple of days and then extend it further.

Reactions: 1 user