Chances of getting into MD schools? 3.1 Science and 2.7 sGPA

May 4, 2015
My GPA came to be 3.1 Cum. and 2.7 sGPA when I considered all of my classes taken. However, my GPA is lifted significantly if I do grade replacements since I have done bad in the first two years of college and practically straight A's in my third and fourth.

If I consider grade replacement my sGPA is around 3.5 and cum. GPA would be 3.67 . I WILL be applying to DO's as well and I know I have a better chance there.

I have done research at my school, summer pre-health undergraduate program at UCSF, 200+ hours volunteering at Stanford Hospital, shadowed 3 doctors, taken part in various clubs.

I will be applying as URM and I haven't taken the MCAT yet (will be taking it later this month)

Please give me any advice or comments, I am just here for suggestions as I don't feel very strongly about my application. Thanks in advance! :)

Spend all of your effort on DO application...with a 2.7 sGPA your chance of getting into an MD school is a good as mine at getting an acceptance at Harvard medical school with a 3.7 and 31MCAT.

Reactions: Spector1

Cyberdyne 101

It's a dry heat
5+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2013
Under the Bay Bridge
Status
Pre-Medical
A post bacc with ~30 credits worth of As and a 90th percentile MCAT would give you a decent shot at MD schools. Although, you shouldn't take the MCAT this month unless you're sure that you'll rock it. You need to be patient.

OP
A
May 4, 2015
Your chance at MD is next to zero with a sub 2.7 sGPA, even as a URM. I would do grade replacement and focus on DO.
I have actually done grade replacement, and my GPA turns out to be 3.5 cum. GPA and 3.67 sGPA. Thank you for your input!

ciestar

All grown up! MS4!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
I am not sure I understand your question, but I live in Bay Area and went to UCLA.
Which underrepresented community do you represent is what he's asking.

Also, MD schools don't do grade replacement.

Reactions: gyngyn
OP
A
May 4, 2015
A post bacc with ~30 credits worth of As and a 90th percentile MCAT would give you a decent shot at MD schools. Although, you shouldn't take the MCAT this month unless you're sure that you'll rock it. You need to be patient.
Thanks for responding. If I actually apply after my 5th year and do well, I know I can raise my GPA to at least 3.2 and sGPA to 3.1 ...It is a bummer because I have done well in resent years but I screwed up my first two years with a couple of D's and F's that brought my GPA down significantly. :( Also, you recommended post bacc and I will definitely consider this option, but after doing a hypothetical calculation, my GPA won't raise that significantly. Maybe it will go up to 3.28. Do you think it is worth it to do a post bacc?

Cyberdyne 101

It's a dry heat
5+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2013
Under the Bay Bridge
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for responding. If I actually apply after my 5th year and do well, I know I can raise my GPA to at least 3.2 and sGPA to 3.1 ...It is a bummer because I have done well in resent years but I screwed up my first two years with a couple of D's and F's that brought my GPA down significantly. :( Also, you recommended post bacc and I will definitely consider this option, but after doing a hypothetical calculation, my GPA won't raise that significantly. Maybe it will go up to 3.28. Do you think it is worth it to do a post bacc?
As others have pointed out, it would help to know which community you represent, i.e. African-American, Puerto Rican, Mexican, etc.

In terms of a post-bacc, I feel that another year of As would help a lot, especially if it gets your sGPA above a 3.0. A .4 sGPA boost is pretty significant imo.

Cyberdyne 101

It's a dry heat
5+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2013
Under the Bay Bridge
Status
Pre-Medical
Oh I see... I am an Afghan.
If you want a shot at an MD school, you'll need a post bacc for further gpa repair and a strong MCAT.

OP
A
May 4, 2015
Afghanistan is not an arab country. Common misconception, but not true :) I spoke to a counselor recently and he brought up URM and encouraged me to apply. Of course I am not relying on that status alone and considering my options to make my application stronger! Thank you!

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
Reactions: Spector1

ciestar

All grown up! MS4!
5+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Afghanistan is not an arab country. Common misconception, but not true :) I spoke to a counselor recently and he brought up URM and encouraged me to apply. Of course I am not relying on that status alone and considering my options to make my application stronger! Thank you!
gyngyn is an ADCOM at a California med school, I'd take his word for it.

Cyberdyne 101

It's a dry heat
5+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2013
Under the Bay Bridge
Status
Pre-Medical
On SDN a 31 is legit something to be ashamed of though ;)

I kid, I kid
Lol, I think you're only half-kidding.

OP
A
May 4, 2015

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
Oct 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
As an Afghani, you're South Asian, like me-- and, as others have pointed out, we aren't URM. All the best

AsianPersuasion

7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2011
Status
Resident [Any Field]
As an Afghani, you're South Asian, like me-- and, as others have pointed out, we aren't URM. All the best
If I am correct, and this is from Gyngyn himself, depending on the ethnicity of SEA such as Hmong, Cambodian etc, you're actually considered URM in Cali. I wouldn't consider OP SEA, he's definitely falls into middle eastern category, though.

Reactions: Transistor
OP
A
May 4, 2015
MD schools do not do grade replacement. They average the two grades you got. DO schools do grade replacement.

Also, you are not URM. Asians (including Muslims) are overrepresented in medicine.
haha I love how Asians, although very diverse, are lumped together. URM was something brought up by my counselor and I though I should mention it here. :) Thanks for the clarifications though

Cyberdyne 101

It's a dry heat
5+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2013
Under the Bay Bridge
Status
Pre-Medical
I do think that on the MCAT threads people tend to only post their scores when they are 33+
Same with people who make MDApps, they always seem to be Ivy 4.0 with a 38+ and three first authorships
There are plenty of applicants with an MCAT<32 who post in WAMC. I agree about the md apps though. More often than not, they seem to have great numbers.

mw18

5+ Year Member
Jan 7, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I think what they are saying is that Afghans are not considered underrepresented in medicine, irrespective of whether the individual is Arab, Muslim, or neither.

Reactions: Nibus and gyngyn

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
If I am correct, and this is from Gyngyn himself, depending on the ethnicity of SEA such as Hmong, Cambodian etc, you're actually considered URM in Cali. I wouldn't consider OP SEA, he's definitely falls into middle eastern category, though.
Most SEA are not considered UIM. The exceptions vary by school but include Hmong, Cambodian and some Pacific Islanders.

Reactions: Cyberdyne 101
Oct 25, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Afghanistan is most definitely not in Southeast Asia, but it is also not in SW Asia, or the Middle East. It's a South Asian country, regional with Pakistan, India, Bangladesh etc.

Reactions: Banco

gyngyn

Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Nov 4, 2011
Status
Attending Physician
@gyngyn pretty much the same for Egyptians? overrepresented in Medicine, right?
Yes.
Coptics often indicate that they believe themselves to be under-represented but I know of no school that considers them so.
Egyptians who indicate that they are African American share a similar fate. The risk of being perceived as disingenuous is higher, though.

Reactions: Goro and Zoro9
The pre meds I know in real life were not impressed by any mean when I told them my MCAT score and GPA ...Another poster on one of my previous thread thought a 32 MCAT was only "okay" and not by any mean a good score so that make my 31 below okay and definitely not good. Wish I have the stat to actually humble brag:pirate:

OP
A
May 4, 2015
Afghanistan is most definitely not in Southeast Asia, but it is also not in SW Asia, or the Middle East. It's a South Asian country, regional with Pakistan, India, Bangladesh etc.
For the sake of argument, Afghanistan is in central Asia but sometimes it is considered to be part of South Asia. It is not worth arguing over its geographical location since it can fall in either category.

Jun 1, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
The pre meds I know in real life were not impressed by any mean when I told them my MCAT score and GPA ...Another poster on one of my previous thread thought a 32 MCAT was only "okay" and not by any mean a good score so that make my 31 below okay and definitely not good. Wish I have the stat to actually humble brag:pirate:
if they are anything like the pre-meds i know in real life, they probably scored a 26 and acted like your score sucked.

Reactions: doctorleospaceman

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat
if they are anything like the pre-meds i know in real life, they probably scored a 26 and acted like your score sucked.
Good thing I don't have friends/acquaintances who are/were premed. :poke::poke:

I have actually done grade replacement, and my GPA turns out to be 3.5 cum. GPA and 3.67 sGPA. Thank you for your input!
Yeah you stand a good chance for DO schools. MD is out of the question. Focus on scoring somewhere between 26-30 equivalent on the MCAT and you're all set.

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Your stats are lethal for MD, but fine for DO.

Teaching moment for the rest of you: Afghanistan is a central Asian country that is mostly Muslim in religion, but populated by several different ethnic groups of Indo-European (Caucasian) stock. These include the Pashtuns, Tajiks, Hazara, Turkmen and Uzbeks. Alas, panda, as gyngyn pointed out, none are considered URM.

My schools has had quite a few Afghanis come through.

My GPA came to be 3.1 Cum. and 2.7 sGPA when I considered all of my classes taken. However, my GPA is lifted significantly if I do grade replacements since I have done bad in the first two years of college and practically straight A's in my third and fourth.

If I consider grade replacement my sGPA is around 3.5 and cum. GPA would be 3.67 . I WILL be applying to DO's as well and I know I have a better chance there.

I have done research at my school, summer pre-health undergraduate program at UCSF, 200+ hours volunteering at Stanford Hospital, shadowed 3 doctors, taken part in various clubs.

I will be applying as URM and I haven't taken the MCAT yet (will be taking it later this month)

Please give me any advice or comments, I am just here for suggestions as I don't feel very strongly about my application. Thanks in advance! :)

OP
A
May 4, 2015

Teaching moment for the rest of you: Afghanistan is a central Asian country that is mostly Muslim in religion, but populated by several different ethnic groups of Indo-European (Caucasian) stock. These include the Pashtuns, Tajiks, Hazara, Turkmen and Uzbeks. Alas, panda, as gyngyn pointed out, none are considered URM.

Yeah I expected that. That glimpse of unrealistic hope I had before is gone too :( BUT I will be apply to DO's for sure :)

Also, it is nice to hear that some people are well aware of diversities in other nations. I kid you not, but I have had a person ask if Afghanistan was in Mexico.

Reactions: Goro

Zoro9

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah I expected that. That glimpse of unrealistic hope I had before is gone too :( BUT I will be apply to DO's for sure :)

Also, it is nice to hear that some people are well aware of diversities in other nations. I kid you not, but I have had a person ask if Afghanistan was in Mexico.
Wow, is that person in colllege?:slap:

Lawper

cat in a box
Gold Donor
5+ Year Member
SDN Ambassador
Jun 17, 2014
space chat

I think the confusion arose because of close political and economic ties between Afghanistan and Pakistan (Karzai claimed the relations were essentially that of "inseparable brothers"). And Central Asia is usually thought to contain Soviet-style autocratic countries. But yeah, I agree Afghanistan is a central Asian country (after all the Soviets tried to invade them!), but regardless, none are URM.

Reactions: Goro

Goro

7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
I will call on my pal @rachiie01, who can commiserate with you on American geographic ignorance!

Reactions: rachiie01
OP
A
May 4, 2015
The idea that all of europe and the middle east is the same in the eyes of Diversity is hilarious tbh
The aim of URM seems to be to dissipate some of the inequality faced by minority groups...although I don't think basing it on ethnicity/race is the best approach. Slicing the diversity of the world into four categories and glorifying their apparent "diversity" in charts and figures seems to do the trick for them.

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I once had the same person tell me that we needed more minority race representation on our campus, and that race was a social construct with no actual biological meaning or legitimate ways to define. I have since learned not to question what racial Diversity is or means or how best to achieve It

ZedsDed

You know what really grinds my gears?
2+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I once had the same person tell me that we needed more minority race representation on our campus, and that race was a social construct with no actual biological meaning or legitimate ways to define. I have since learned not to question what racial Diversity is or means or how best to achieve It
Let me guess, sociology major?