Chances of getting into MD schools??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mud91

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All!
I'm applying in early August and I need some advice! Here are my stats.
North carolina resident
School: UNC Greensboro
Major: Biology
Overall GPA: 3.20 after 109 hours
BCPM GPA:2.99 (70 credit hours)

I'm taking the MCAT in July. I've making 28N-31N on the practice tests, so hopefully I should at least be making 28 on the actual MCAT. I know my GPA is not anywhere close to what is preferred for MD schools but I had financial problems and worked two jobs and I also had to deal with deaths of my four grandparents, whom I was really close to, during past two years. Thus, my GPA suffered a lot in sophmore year but I was able to pull it up somewhat in junior year but not as much since I was taking a year of biochemistry, physics, physiology, and calculus. I also made C+'s in both physics 1 and 2, B- in organic 1, C in organic 2, and C's in physiology, and two semesters of biochem. I still have my senior year to pull my GPA up somewhat but it wouldn't make that big of a difference.

EC's

Research-1 year
Science Enrichment Program (SEP) at UNC
Hospice volunteering and volunteering in a health camp in India- 350 hours
HOSA and Garden club

I'm also a co-author of a recently accepted publication from the research lab. TA for a lab for one semester. All of the 350 are medical volunteering and about 100 non-medical(HOSA and Garden club) volunteering. No sports or anything.
What are my chances of getting into MD schools? I'm open to anywhere as long as it's in the US. If any, any suggestions about which ones I should apply to will be helpful. I'm also planning on applying to Special Masters Programs (SMP's). Which ones should I apply to with my stats and which ones are easy to handle? I heard Georgetown is really difficult. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I would say little to no chance at any MD college. Very low chance at DO schools too. If you're serious about medicine, that SMP and a 32+ must be on the table. Your EC are also on the lower end of things. The 350 hours sound good, but the rest is too vague. 1 year doing research in what? Any leadership positions? Sports and Hobbies? Non-medical volunteering? Publications?

I would say little to no chance at any MD college. Very low chance at DO schools too. If you're serious about medicine, that SMP and a 32+ must be on the table. Your EC are also on the lower end of things. The 350 hours sound good, but the rest is too vague. 1 year doing research in what? Any leadership positions? Sports and Hobbies? Non-medical volunteering? Publications?

Hey TriagePreMed, thanks for a fast reponse. I've been doing research in organic synthesis lab. I'm also a co-author of a recently accepted publication. All of the 350 are medical volunteering and about 100 non-medical volunteering. No sports or anything.

BTW love your cat-ion picture!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey TriagePreMed, thanks for a fast reponse. I've been doing research in organic synthesis lab. I'm also a co-author of a recently accepted publication. All of the 350 are medical volunteering and about 100 non-medical volunteering. No sports or anything.

BTW love your cat-ion picture!:)
Thanks. I wish I could have given you better news, but I suspected you knew the answer and just needed someone to be honest to you. I think if you do well on your SMP you'll fare well in your application cycle.

You probably need a 30ish plus a solid smp for a md school. I would probably say Georgetown should be #1 due to how well known they are and their track record. And all SMPs are going to be hard.