Chances of getting into Med School with a low GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sandy Pang

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I know there are a lot of threads on here that are very similar to my situation. But I couldn't find one that specifically applies to me. I'm really worried about my chances of getting to medical school,MD or DO. I'm a second semester sophomore right now with a major in Public Health B.S. I have switched my major from Biology in my freshman year to Public Health. The reason I switched was because I fell in love with Public Health classes and felt that I wouldn't be fully content with pursuing a B.S. in Biology anymore. I got 2 C's in Bio 111 and Math 120 (Calculus) in my freshman year, which brought my GPA down. But this year, I've been getting all As and Bs, and I intend to keep it this way. So now I have a GPA of 3.206 . And I know that it is very low and essentially non competitive for medical school.

I've also joined the pre med society at my college and various other clubs of my interest. And am part of Minority Scholars Program at my school. I also founded a club at my college, a gaming club (this is just one of my hobbies).

But I do have very extensive volunteer experience and shadowing experience. I have about 100 or 200 hours of volunteer experience. And I have shadowed RN, CNA, Surgeons, MD before. So I'm sure that medicine is the field I want to go into.

In addition to volunteer and shadowing experience, I have 2 year of research experience in the lab with my professors.

I haven't taken a real MCAT yet, but when I do I will be taking the MCAT 2015.

Because my GPA is so low, I'm really scared that my MD dream in life is crushed and I won't even be able to land an interview with any of the schools I plan to apply. Please give me any suggestions you have!

Thanks Guys.

Members don't see this ad.

What minority group do you represent? If you're African-American, your GPA should bring success: if you're Mexican or Puerto Rican, you may want to get up to 3.35 or so.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm Asian American
Unfortunately, this makes the road ahead of you significantly tougher. You should do your best from here on out and even take a gap year if necessary. You can make it into a DO school, but the MD is going to be an uphill battle.

What year in school are you? If you're a sophomore, there's still time to bring up your GPA. You should take a gap year so that you have junior and senior year to raise your grades. An upward trend will go a long way.

There is plenty of time to bring up your grades. Change everything about your study habits (start going to office hours) and you should be fine.

Yes I am a second year sophomore right now. And I do plan to keep my grades up and show an upward trend. I've done some GPA what ifs and I have the potential to get a 3.712 by senior year, if I continue to get all As. But I'm going to be realistic and say that I can probably pull off a 3.6. Is that still good enough to apply? I also plan on getting my CNA this year and work, so I'll have some more experience in the field.

I'm also really concerned about my science GPA, because I got a C in both Bio 111 and Calculus, my science GPA is somewhere around a 2.6. I still have more of my MCAT Requirement classes to take that can boost it up, but I'm estimating that I can only bring it up to about a 3.3 or 3.4. Is that anywhere near competitive?

I'm applying in June 2015 with 3.4 GPAs, and I was told I was good for DO schools. Some MD schools will consider a 3.4, but you've got to pick the right ones. Also, the MCAT may broaden or constrict your options. We both have to pick smart with the MSAR by our sides. ^^

Ok, thanks guys! I'm definitely gonna start looking into some DO schools and keep my GPA up! Thanks for all the advice!