chances of getting into med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jackel22

jackel 22
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have 2 misdemeanors, attempted assault, and terroristic threatening. The other three misdemeanors of: filing false report, disorderly conduct, and resisting arrest are going to be dropped october of this year, but the attempted assault and terroristic threatening are staying on as misdemeanors. What are my chances of getting into a U.S. medical school?
What about getting in a foreign medical school? If I do get into a foreign med school, can I get licensed in the u.s. ? can I do a residency in the u.s.?

Members don't see this ad.

I have 2 misdemeanors, attempted assault, and terroristic threatening. The other three misdemeanors of: filing false report, disorderly conduct, and resisting arrest are going to be dropped october of this year, but the attempted assault and terroristic threatening are staying on as misdemeanors. What are my chances of getting into a U.S. medical school?
What about getting in a foreign medical school? If I do get into a foreign med school, can I get licensed in the u.s. ? can I do a residency in the u.s.?

This belongs in pre-allo. Allo is for topics of interest to folks already in med school.

But FWIW, criminal convictions of the type you describe are going to raise eyebrows and may cause you issues for years. Distancing yourself with time, so you can explain it away as being young and foolish, may be your best approach.

Members don't see this ad :)

I don't think you belong in med school. I hope this is a troll post, for humanity's sake.

Moving to Pre-Allo with the rest of the "what are my chances?" threads.

Hey, I think "jackal," ends with an "al.":thumbup:

the OP sounds like a troll to me

I don't think you belong in med school. I hope this is a troll post, for humanity's sake.

To me, this doesn't have the 'feel' of a troll thread.

I'll play criminal defense here (i.e. protecting those that have failed to achieve perfection from the wrath of those that think they have.)

Look, the OP made some mistakes, they're all misdeamenors so they probably aren't too serious (sometimes the name of the crime sounds awful, but the actual crime itself isn't that bad---you can get misdeamenor assault from flicking water on someone).

I'll bet that if you get into medical school AND THEN get asked for a background check, and you come clean, they won't boot you. However, if they require the background check before they consider you, it will be a lot tougher.

Is there a way you can get at least some of these taken off your record? I know two of them are going off.. don't apply until they are off of your record. For attempted assault and terroristic threatening, speak to a lawyer about getting those taken off of your record as well. Many misdemeanors have programs that you can attend that will remove them from your record upon successful completion (Such as anger management classes and the like).

Best thing to do Jackal is find out which Med schools require background checks on there incoming students (that's if you get accepted ofcourse) I know most Texas med schools have them. If all else goes down hill, you can always apply to med schools in the caribbean like Ross or St. George. Nobody's perfect, don't let that stuff in the past bring you down just learn from it and make yourself better.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey im just curious how do you get charged with terrorist threatening?

The caribbean schools will most likely overlook your background and give you admission as long as you have okay stats. You will do residency in the US but your choices of speciality will be severely limited (most are family practice).

The caribbean schools will most likely overlook your background and give you admission as long as you have okay stats. You will do residency in the US but your choices of speciality will be severely limited (most are family practice).

Just don't mention that you like to kidnap hot girls on graduation trips in the Caribbean. My school almost kicked me out after I got handcuffed in the middle of anatomy lab.

I swear it wasn't me.

Best thing to do Jackal is find out which Med schools require background checks on there incoming students (that's if you get accepted ofcourse) I know most Texas med schools have them. If all else goes down hill, you can always apply to med schools in the caribbean like Ross or St. George. Nobody's perfect, don't let that stuff in the past bring you down just learn from it and make yourself better.

Most schools, if not all schools, do background checks on incoming med students. I am not sure whether this is a troll or not, but if the OP is for real, I would think that your chances are slim in a US med school. You have at least 5 misdemeanors, 3 of them being dropped by the end of this year. I agree with Law2doc, wait a couple of years and then explain your actions (if you can :scared:) by immature adolescence behaviour, but maybe caribbean schools is the way to go at it if you want to start med school soon.

Just don't mention that you like to kidnap hot girls on graduation trips in the Caribbean. My school almost kicked me out after I got handcuffed in the middle of anatomy lab.

I swear it wasn't me.

that's awesome

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

is 'terroristic' even a word? I would think it would be used in a sentence such as: I was accused of terrorist threats..not 'terroristic' threats. Oh, but who knows, I am no spelling/grammar expert.

-PlAnEjaNe

yarr matey me eyes spot a troll on the horizon! :p

I also hope this is a troll post because I would never want to go to a physician with that kind of a record. Obviosuly, the OP doesn't know how to control him/herself. I'm sure it would be much more difficult to deal with that personality in the middle of a long emergency surgery.

Actually, most Caribbean schools require background checks in order for the student to obtain a visa, if I'm not mistaken. All I can say to the OP is best of luck in whatever he decides to do.

What about getting in a foreign medical school
? If I do get into a foreign med school, can I get licensed in the u.s. ? can I do a residency in the u.s.?

it depends on your race, nationality, and other racial profiling. And seriously I hope you're a troll because otherwise i think this is pretty serious and scary.:eek:

I think they're opening up an Al-Qaida Med School along the Pakistani border. You're a shoe-in. You can list your "activities" with your ECs.

I dont think you can be licenced anywhere(including Sudan).

I think they're opening up an Al-Qaida Med School along the Pakistani border. You're a shoe-in. You can list your "activities" with your ECs.

:laugh: I thought about applying there

is 'terroristic' even a word? I would think it would be used in a sentence such as: I was accused of terrorist threats..not 'terroristic' threats. Oh, but who knows, I am no spelling/grammar expert.

-PlAnEjaNe

Oh, it's a word alright. I have a friend who decided it would be funny to write a threatening, anonymous email to some girls who were treating his girlfriend badly. (All of the girls played on a junior college soccer team together) Well, he was smart enough to mention something about treating "your teammates" badly, and so the girls told their coach, who told the school, who told the police. He was supboenaed to appear in court down in the county of the school where the "terroristic threatening" had taken place.

The charges ended up getting bumped to a class "c" misdemeanor or the next lower one (whichever wouldn't end up on his permanent record) and he only had to pay a fine.

"Terroristic threatening" is definitely a real charge, if not a real word.

if OP has not replied yet it's a troll. (not the other way around of course)