Chances of getting into NYCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gucci2513

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I would just like to get some opinions about my chances of getting into NYCPM. My overall gpa is a 3, my science gpa is a 2.75 (I got a few Cs, but nothing lower) and I took 6 upper level biology courses (anatomy, endocrinology,etc..) aside from the podiatric school requirments. Im taking the MCAT in september, I'm using the exam krackers(I was told it's the best by many pre-pod students) and the practice MCAT exams on the AAMC website to study for it. I have approximately 500 volunteer hours (150 in the hospital, 100 in a dental office, and 250 in a podiatrist's office who went to NYCPM), I did a week-long internship in temple's podiatry school, and a few other extracurricular activities. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I would say poor at best NYCPM tends to prefer >3 BCPM and without a decent MCAT it may be difficult.

Members don't see this ad :)
^ No they do not accept low GPA's like that. It is a competitive school to get into. I don't understand why people take it for granted!

Apparently you will not be fine. My bad.

^ No they do not accept low GPA's like that. It is a competitive school to get into. I don't understand why people take it for granted!

Do you have anything to compare it to (other pod schools)??? Someone told me they were the yale of podiatry so it must be good!

I hate having to say this and I pray that I am wrong (as this was the case only a few years ago) but there are some programs out there that will basically take anyone. My advice to those applying is to apply to all the schools that you are interested in and see what happens. You'll find that some programs are much more selective than others.

I guess that is Jonwill's way of saying "anyone can get in"

But that does not mean smart people don't go there and it does not mean if you get in you will automatically graduate

Last edited:
post_old.gif
Yesterday, 06:41 PM #30 NormColeman4MN

icon1.gif
Ivy + Mountain West League poddy's
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaChiNAU
al franken beat norm for senate seat :)

Shhhh don't remind me...

Temple = Harvard
DMU = Brown
Azpod = BYU
CSPM = Yale
NYCPM = Dartmouth
Western = Princeton
Scholl = Cornell
OCPM = Penn
Barry = Columbia

Now we are all top notch pod kiddies!
user_online.gif

according to this distinguished journal I stumbled upon it appears that NYCPM is the Dartmouth of Podiatry

Fa sho

LMAO that is such BS , we all wish that were the case tho, But i was looking at the schools lately and it seems that NYCPM is the hardest to obtain and maintain a high gpa based on their grading policy, no other school is that strict with thier policy it seems , what do u all think?

LMAO that is such BS , we all wish that were the case tho, But i was looking at the schools lately and it seems that NYCPM is the hardest to obtain and maintain a high gpa based on their grading policy, no other school is that strict with thier policy it seems , what do u all think?

hmmm don't you think it may be more difficult/competitive at arizona/iowa/maybe western? This is where you sitting next to the osteopathic kids and taking the same exams. I guess scholl does it too, but its only for very few courses.

What makes it so difficult to have a high gpa at new york's podiatry school???

hmmm don't you think it may be more difficult/competitive at arizona/iowa/maybe western? This is where you sitting next to the osteopathic kids and taking the same exams. I guess scholl does it too, but its only for very few courses.

What makes it so difficult to have a high gpa at new york's podiatry school???

The grading system for each school, NYCPM appears to be the toughest to obtain a high gpa.

Norm, use your brain for a second, or has all that lutefisk made you dumb. DMU (and I assume all other schools) separates DO and DPM grades.

also, by your theory, it should be harder at Scholl since it is with MD kids and they have higher MCAT/GPA averages

Last edited:
Norm, use your brain for a second, or has all that lutefisk made you dumb. DMU (and I assume all other schools) separates DO and DPM grades.

also, by your theory, it should be harder at Scholl since it is with MD kids and they have higher MCAT/GPA averages

hahaha i love lutefisk!!! I'm surprised that you even know about it (watch that fat zimmer dude?)

I know the grades are SEPARATE as they are part of different programs. I am pretty sure the des moines kids do not have separate curves for the DPM & DO grades. Why would they do it when they are in the SAME EXACT class? Maybe you should lay off the jesus juice there padre. I would imagine it's different when they diverge their education during 2nd year.

And with scholl, I believe they have 1 basic science class with the MD's (which I stated) and that is gross anatomy. I believe a few others are with PA's and then a mix of students for ICM. You cannot compare the situation to Arizona - where they take almost all the same classes with DO students or Des Moines- where they take the 1st year + pharm in 2nd year with DO students.

Maybe it's just me, but I think that having DO students in the same courses and lab groups (they do have mixed lab groups) would make a more competitive environment. The DO kids have higher entering GPA's & MCAT scores. I know I would wanna prove myself and do as well as or better than the osteopathic students if I was in that situation. These pod students at these schools, taking classes with the DO's, also do the BEST on the boards. Funny huh?

Maybe it's just me, but I think that having DO students in the same courses and lab groups (they do have mixed lab groups) would make a more competitive environment. The DO kids have higher entering GPA's & MCAT scores. I know I would wanna prove myself and do as well as or better than the osteopathic students if I was in that situation. These pod students at these schools, taking classes with the DO's, also do the BEST on the boards. Funny huh?

I absolutely agree. And I have to admit I could not recall offhand what the horrible/disgusting/nauseating/putrid.... fish dish was that all of the christensens, jacobsens, ericksons and fredricksons like to eat, so I had to look it up.

No, I'm not singling out NYCPM nor am I slamming them. I'm just saying that, in general, there are some programs out there that will basically take anyone. If the OP applies to all the programs, they will find out for themselves.

I definitely have my opinion of the various schools but it is just that, my opinion. But in my position, I would think it a bit counterintuitive to state it on the forums. There are certain programs that prepare students much better for residency but then again, a good student will be a good student ANYWHERE.

If the OP is looking for advice on NYCPM, krabmas is a grad of the school and I'm sure could offer some worthwhile advice.

No, I'm not singling out NYCPM nor am I slamming them. I'm just saying that, in general, there are some programs out there that will basically take anyone. If the OP applies to all the programs, they will find out for themselves.

I definitely have my opinion of the various schools but it is just that, my opinion. But in my position, I would think it a bit counterintuitive to state it on the forums. There are certain programs that prepare students much better for residency but then again, a good student will be a good student ANYWHERE.

If the OP is looking for advice on NYCPM, krabmas is a grad of the school and I'm sure could offer some worthwhile advice.
Good advice^

Any school can give you what you need, but you have to consider things like number of clerkships, board prep and pass rates, match success of grads. A big factor IMO is 3rd year and clinic quality, student-to-patient ratio, diversity of cases/rotations, etc. Skills learned in 3rd year that will help on clerkships/residency (being comfortable writing clinic and hospital notes, reading and analyzing journals, interpreting XR and imaging, skills rounding on hospital floors and scrubbing in the OR will help you immensely when you go into 4th year and beyond. Being a great nail Dremel guy or low-dye tape stud? not so impressive to most residency directors at competitive surgical programs).

Other factors being similar, high $ or reasonably renewable scholarships to help pay some % of your pod school tuition are also very nice; I've realized that even more now that I started getting your loan statements and seeing how fast interest can turn into tens of thousands during residency.

Thank you for the invite to the discussion. I was trying to stay quiet. I've mentioned things over and over about my oppinion of the school. If you search my comments you can read the trend on what I thought and currently think of the school. I definitely have better thoughts about it now than I did when I was there. It has its frustrations but so do all the schools.

We may not do a year of externships - only 4-5, this number has increased from 3-4. But we have integrated rotations in internal medicine, general surgery, emergency room. I think Scholl also has similar rotations.

And while I was there I felt like a slave in their clinic expecially for community hospital rotations but I appreciate all the patients I got to see and treat (decide and try treatment approaches) and the diverse pathology that we saw, expecially the peds patients. Most of the peds were treated conservatively for flat feet or intoeing, hardly ever did they progress to surgery, but it was great experience in learning concervative managment and casting for orthotics - over and over and over...

I agree with Jonwill if you want to go to pod school then apply to all of them and see what happens.

Good Luck.

I hate having to say this and I pray that I am wrong (as this was the case only a few years ago) but there are some programs out there that will basically take anyone.

I'm not sure if podiatry was affected as much as other professions, but I know many various health professions (at least I know this is true for physical therapy and masters/PhD graduate schools) received triple the applications this cycle... Most likely due to the hardships of finding a job right out of college.

This would obviously have an affect on acceptance rates. But will it happen again this year? ...Most likely